Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPods will not eject.

Both my iPods fail to eject. I get the "cannot eject because it contains files that are in use by another application". I have no idea what these files are nor what the "other application" is. Anybody have any ideas how to correct this iTunes malfunction?

This is essentially the same message I receive when trying to restore my original iPod through iTunes.

Windows 7

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 11:09 AM

3 replies

Jan 5, 2015 2:20 PM in response to danielkilburn

Hey danielkilburn,

Oh man! That definitely sounds frustrating. Have you tried resetting the iPod while it is still connected, as outlined in this resource?:

iPod: How to Safely Disconnect if iPod doesn't eject - Apple Support

http://support.apple.com/en-us/TS1709

1. Listen to or touch iPod to see if its hard drive is spinning.
  2. If the hard drive is not spinning, you can safely disconnect iPod from your computer.
  3. Reset iPod. Note: When you reset iPod, all your music and data are saved.

Thanks,

Matt M.

Jan 5, 2015 10:45 PM in response to danielkilburn

One possible application that is "using" your files is your anti-virus software. If the anti-virus software is scanning the music on your computer, then the music is "in use by that other application". It could also be any other programme scanning files in order to protect your computer.

Try closing any applications such as these (temporarily of course) and see if you can then eject the iPod. If not, then closing down the computer will make it possible to remove the iPod safely, since nothing will then be using it.

Also, think of any other applications that might be using the music files, such as a music editing programme, if you edit an audio file, or Windows Media Player for example. It has been know for programmes to fail to release files after using them. In other words, the programme is no longer using the file, but it has not told your operating system (Windows 7) that it has finished with it. Consequently, Windows 7 tells iTunes that the file is still in use.

By the way, it's not an "iTunes malfunction". iTunes has been informed by Windows 7 that some of the files that you are syncing with the iPod are in use by another application (as it tells you). The assumption by iTunes is that the files are being, or are about to be, modified. Like all good computer programmes, it will not save a file to another location while it's being modified. To do so could cause the file to become corrupted.

Jan 8, 2015 9:55 PM in response to danielkilburn

I had this problem as well. I had just updated Real Player and then wanted to update my ipod. I got the same message that you did and after spending some time looking at other forums I found out that my problem was with Real Player. I opened up my Task Manager and found the recordingmanager.exe was running and I clicked on it and stopped the process. That solved my problem, I was then able to eject my ipod.

iPods will not eject.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.