Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has my memory ran out already, I've only used 2gigs!

My iPhone 5c has zero space left despite havimg only used 2gigs ish? Total memory is 5gig is iOS 8 3gigs?!?? Wth!

iPhone 5c, iOS 8

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 11:41 AM

1 reply

Jan 5, 2015 2:34 PM in response to chrisfromsouthampt

Hi chrisfromsouthampton,

Welcome to the Support Communities! Are you asking about the storage on your iPhone itself, or iCloud? The article below explains how to manage the data on your iPhone. Did you recently delete some pictures in the Photos app? If so, tap on Albums, and delete them again from the "Recently Deleted" album.

See how much storage you've used on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201656

You can sync and download many different types of content on your iOS device. Some types of content (like music and videos) use more space than others (like as notes and books). In general, apps that are complex or graphically intense use more space than simpler apps.

If your device is near its capacity or you get an alert that your storage is full, you can remove some of your less used content to make room for more.

View storage usage on your iOS device

Tap Settings > General > About to see the total capacity of your iPhone.

Tap Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage to see the amount of space each app and its content takes on your device.

User uploaded file

Tap an app for more detailed information about its usage.

User uploaded file

Depending on the app, you might be able to delete some of the app's content, or delete the app and all of its content.

iCloud storage upgrades and downgrades - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201318

When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5 GB of free storage for Mail, Backup, iCloud Photo Library beta, and iCloud Drive. Your purchased music, movies, apps, books, TV shows, and shared albums don’t count against that free storage. If you need more iCloud storage, you have two options:

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4847

Learn how to manage your iCloud storage if you reach or exceed your storage limit.

You can manage your storage by upgrading your iCloud storage plan or reducing the amount of storage that you're using. You can reduce your iCloud storage by choosing which apps and backups to store, and you can move or delete documents, photos, and email messages that you no longer need.

Use these steps to see how much iCloud storage is available in your account:

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
    • If you're using iOS 8 or later, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage.
    • If you're using an earlier version of iOS, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.
  • On your Mac, go to Apple menu > System Preferences, click iCloud, then click Manage.
  • On your Windows computer:
    • Windows 8.1: Go to the Start screen and click the down arrow User uploaded file in the lower-left corner. Click the iCloud app, then click Manage.
    • Windows 8: Go to the Start screen and click the iCloud tile, then click Manage.
    • Windows 7: Choose Start menu > All Programs > iCloud > iCloud, then click Manage.

Before you delete anything, you might want to archive or make copies of your iCloud data.

Backups

When you back up your iOS device to iCloud, the most important data on your device is backed up automatically, including your documents, photos, and videos. Learn more about what iCloud backs up.

Use the steps below to manage how much storage you use.

Select which iOS apps to back up

Many apps automatically back up to iCloud after you install them. You can change which apps back up to iCloud and remove existing backups of that app's data from your storage.

Use these steps on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

1. Tap Settings > iCloud.
    • If you're using iOS 8 or later, tap Storage > Manage Storage.
    • If you're using an earlier version of iOS, tap Storage & Backup > Manage Storage.
  2. Tap the name of your iOS device.
  3. Under Backup Options, turn off any apps that you don't want to back up. When you're asked to confirm, choose Turn Off & Delete to turn off Backup for that app and remove all of its data from iCloud.

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Why has my memory ran out already, I've only used 2gigs!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.