Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pioneer DVD -RW drive will not load CD/DVD media iMac Yosemite

I have a 20-inch, Early 2009 iMac that was recently updated with a SSD Drive and I ran all the installation media that cam with it originally.

I did update to the latest and greatest Mac OS Yosemite to recently discover that the Pioneer drive (see details below) will not load disks. Any disks. It makes that loading noise and it seems to struggle until it spits it out again.

I am pretty sure it worked since I have loaded Software from the Installation DVDs but I cannot confirm the if the problem started since Yosemite update. There may be a separate contributing factor, he is 2 year old and since he has seen Music CDs loaded there previously he was showing interest in poking thinks in the slot.

How can I identify the real problem? Is the drive faulty or is it some incompatibility with the system?

About this Mac > System report...

PIONEER DVD-RW DVRTS08:

Firmware Revision: Q81D

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)

Cache: 2000 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose File > Refresh Information

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 20-inch Early 2009 2.66 Core 2 Duo

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 2:44 PM

2 replies

Jan 30, 2016 3:28 PM in response to zfdesign

Did you find any solution to your problem? I have the same issue on my Early 2009 mac-mini (also recently updated with SSD and OS X loaded via install CD).

PIONEER DVD-RW DVRTS08:

Firmware Revision: Q81B

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)

Cache: 2000 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Mac Mini, OS X Yosemite (10.11.3), Early 2009 2.0 Core 2 Duo

Pioneer DVD -RW drive will not load CD/DVD media iMac Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.