Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I retrieve backup with no iPhone?

When I had my iPhone I would periodically do a manual backup to iCloud, but one day I lost my phone and now use a Motorola RAZR. Is there a way I can get them restored to my Mac? The two things I care most about are Podcasts -- made by hand, not downloaded -- and photos. My Mac had photos in iPhoto and Podcasts in iTunes, but on the night where I was intentionally formatting my hard disk, the backup I made to an external FireWire drive was toasted (long story) so the Mac's files are gone. (File recovery not possible.)

I don't see any relevant options in iPhoto or iTunes. Is there a way to do this?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 4 GB

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 1:52 PM

No. The only way to retrieve them is to restore the backup to an iOS device.

9 replies

May 30, 2015 2:37 PM in response to KiltedTim

I got an old iPhone -- the first model, no less -- from a friend, but when plugged it into iTunes, the old backup never appeared available. I see that the iTunes Backups says, "Manually back up your iPhone to this computer or restore a backup stored on this computer." I could have sworn there were two backup options: One to the computer and one to iCloud, and thus a restore from iCloud would have been available.

May 30, 2015 3:01 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Interesting, and explains why Settings > Mail etc > Add Account includes a mobileMe (which works for my .me or .mac address). Do you know why iTunes 12 sees and syncs my calendars, yet the Contacts area of iTunes is empty. My Contacts are all in iCloud and I see no way to add the old "On my Mac" account. I know Apple has (foolishly, in my opinion) move everything to using iCloud and killing off local storage and syncing.

Can I retrieve backup with no iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.