Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMB Share from Router

I'm trying to setup a shared network drive from my router, which is a Trendnet TEW-812DRU with an external HD plugged into the USB port.

I'm using a MBP running Yosemite 10.10.1 and I use "Go To Server" to enter smb://IPaddress of the router, enter my router username and password and connect successfully. The problem occurs after connection. I don't see the actual connected drive, but instead, I see the router's IP address in the Finder's Shared section. When I select that, I only see a sharepoint named sda1. When I try to open sda1 there is nothing in it.

I've tried to format a small USB drive in a number of ways (ExFat, Fat, & MacOS Extended, using GUID and Master Boot partitions) to see if it made a difference what type of drive was attached. I've also tried connecting using cifd:// instead of smb. Same result though.

This may be the wrong forum for this question, but if anyone can shed some light on this situation, please help me out.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), null

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 6:01 PM

5 replies

Aug 19, 2015 2:42 PM in response to JacksomPower

I am currently running OS X 10.11.

Using the TRENDnet AC1900 (TEW-818DRU)

Drive 1#: WD My Book 3TB hard drive.

I partitioned the drive in half for Time Machine and for everything else both in OX X Extended (Journaled).

Finder > GO > Connect to Server > smb://WD-HDD > Connect

SELECT THE VOLUMES YOU WANT TO MOUNT ON "____________" which only gives option sda1.

The sda1 drive is 366Mb with some hidden files on it, but not the original files I have on the drive.

Drive #2: 4Gb Flash Drive.

Formatted with FAT (from windows)

Finder > GO > Connect to Server > smb://WD-HDD > Connect

SELECT THE VOLUMES YOU WANT TO MOUNT ON "____________" which only gives option sda1.

The sda1 drive is the full drive.

Anyone know what's going on?

Aug 19, 2015 3:04 PM in response to jeremu

Drive 1#: WD My Book 3TB hard drive.

The sda1 drive is 313.8 MB with some hidden files on it, but not the original files I have on the drive.

Here is the contents of the drive through (smb)

-rwx------ 1 me staff 6.0K Dec 31 2011 .DS_Store*

-rwx------ 1 me staff 0B Dec 31 2011 .com.apple.smb.streams.on*

-rwx------ 1 me staff 0B Dec 31 2011 .metadata_never_index*

SMB Share from Router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.