Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no airplay symbol on macbook pro

i have a apple tv 2nd generation which i can airplay to from my iPad 3rd generation and from my iPhone 5s. i have a macbook pro mid 2012 with yosemite. recently i have had an issue with airplay to the apple tv? it always used to work smoothly from this mac to the apple tv but something has changed. i do not see the airplay symbol in the top bar. i have tried the apple troubleshooter to no avail.

i am on the same network.

i have tried hardwiring the apple tv to my time capsule router and i have tried leaving it just on wifi?

i have turned off the firewall and turned it on again?

not sure what to try next?.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 5:39 PM

3 replies

Jan 6, 2015 7:41 AM in response to Cayman al

Howdy Cayman al,

If you don't see the Airplay symbol in the menu bar, can you verify that setting?

About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X - Apple Support

If you don't see mirroring options

If your Mac and Apple TV are on the same network, but no AirPlay Mirroring menu appears, your Apple TV may be asleep. Simply press a button on your Apple TV remote to wake it up. After a few seconds, the AirPlay Mirroring menu extra appears. If you still don't see the options you expect, make sure your Apple TV has the current software update installed. Also make sure that you have the "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" option selected in the Displays pane of System Preferences.

User uploaded file

Best,

Nubz

Jan 6, 2015 2:37 PM in response to Nubz N.

Thanks for the reply Nubz but unfortunately i have tried all these things. The software is up to date, all systems are on the same network. airplay works from ipad and iphone to apple tv. apple tv is not asleep. the option would be ticked in settings if the computer could 'see' the apple tv but it says no device detected.

i noticed last night that i can use the aiplay symbol from within itunes on the mac to airplay sound and video to apple tv but i just can't airplay anything outside of itunes. There is still no symbol on the top menu bar.

no airplay symbol on macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.