Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This presentation can't be opened because its too old. To open it, save it with Keynote '09 first.

I can not open a keynote presentation. How do I convert it?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 5:26 PM

10 replies

Jan 6, 2015 1:29 PM in response to jhumphre

Files that were saved with Keynote '09 (version 5.x) will open in the newer Keynote 6.5. If you are still get that same error, and think you may still have iWork 09 on your mac, you can try clicking on the document while holding the 'Control' key on your keyboard to get to Open With > Keynote.app (5.3) the '09 version. This should only be necessary for files that are much older. If this works make sure to go to File > Save which should will stop that from happening again.

For much older files, like AppleWorks documents, you may be able to use 3rd party software, like LibreOffice, to open it. Unfortunately if a file was created years ago and hasn't been opened in a while, and in a newer version of the software, it's not uncommon to have this type of issue. It's not entirely Apple's fault since they have been releasing software but not everyone decides to update. There are also lawsuits, new features that are introduced, etc. that all cause companies to have to change their software. Definitely frustrating to have to deal with, but it's par for the course of not maintaining documents are important.

Hope this helps.

Jan 6, 2015 1:37 PM in response to Mr. Apple101

Prior to installing Yosemite, the older files would open and I could run a slide show with them in 6.5. If I edited the file in any way, however, I would be asked if I would like to save/update it to the latest Keynote. That no longer happens. It simply will not open the file at all (giving the above error message). Having tired of being asked to update the file to the latest version, I removed iWork '09. ALL of my old Numbers and Pages files open just fine in their latest incarnations - why isn't Keynote backward compatible too? So, my conclusion is that this is definitely Apple's fault. Hopefully, they'll figure out a work-around.

Mar 7, 2015 2:49 PM in response to bigoscar

I have also struggled with this issue. Aside from the question- why have Apple allowed this to happen? and I don't accept that I must update to the latest version of every piece of software just to open my files. It is a very disappointing and short sighted policy. Anyway, I found that opening the old keynote file in powerpoint (of all things- very helpful!!) and then saving as a .ppt file allowed Keynote 6.5.2 to open it. You just have to then sort of any animations/video that you might have in the presentation. Time consuming when we use Apple to save time and 'because it just works"..........mmmmm

This presentation can't be opened because its too old. To open it, save it with Keynote '09 first.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.