Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing SSD iMac 2010

Hi I'm installing an SSD in a 2010 iMac using OWC's SSD kit (http://tinyurl.com/ccsklok) alongside the original HDD and wanted to make sure my procedure will work.

1. Place SSD in external enclosure
  2. Format to GUID, download and run Yosemite installer on that drive (obviously doing a clean install)
  3. Place SSD in iMac (long complicated process!)
  4. Press Option during startup and boot from SSD
  5. Change startup disk to the SSD

Q1. Will the above process work?

Q2. When do I need to enable TRIM on the drive? I know Yosemite has kext signing and TRIM issues. I would use Cindori's TRIM Enabler but I can do that once I'm booting from the SDD? Or do I boot from the enclosure, install the program and enable TRIM that way?

Q3. The old HDD will be untouched. Can I access it from the SSD once it is my startup disk? Will it show up as a drive on the desktop?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), null

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 5:22 PM

Everything looks like it should work apart from step 2, where you should remember to format it as Mac OS (extended journaled) or otherwise it will not work properly.

As for TRIM I would recommend against it as most SSD's these days have adequate garbage collection methods, in other words they do what TRIM does only it is built in!

Other than that it should work perfectly!

Enjoy your SSD!🙂

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2015 5:22 PM in response to spartan156

Everything looks like it should work apart from step 2, where you should remember to format it as Mac OS (extended journaled) or otherwise it will not work properly.

As for TRIM I would recommend against it as most SSD's these days have adequate garbage collection methods, in other words they do what TRIM does only it is built in!

Other than that it should work perfectly!

Enjoy your SSD!🙂

Jan 4, 2015 10:03 PM in response to spartan156

If you are so worried about TRIM buy an SSD like a Crucial M500 or equivalent OWC that do not require TRIM or other maintenance like the Samsung Evo does, I have read that it degrades alot without TRIM.

I originally had TRIM on my OWC SSD, but later disabled it, I have noticed no speed/performance decrease on it.

As I said earlier modern SSD's have their own garbage collection and shouldn't require TRIM.

Jan 5, 2015 9:31 PM in response to spartan156

Disclaimer: I'm no expert...read on and I'll prove it!

Are you trying to set up a Fusion drive or just add a second drive? How big is the SSD? Why EVO over the Pro...something about the MBP vs the iMac or just a cost issue?

iFix-it has a dual hard drive DIY kit. OWC will install them both for you, but they don't have a DIY kit. What's the advantage of a 2nd SSD that's not combined into a Fusion drive? (besides a fast second drive)

I'm thinking of doing the same to my iMac 27" 3.2GHz i3 model 11,3, but I need to replace the original HDD and/or install a second.

Since you're keeping your original HDD you don't have to worry about temperature with it. I don't know if the new SSD will have a temperature issue. I have to replace my original HDD (failed, clicking noise), and I understand I need to replace it with a HDD from the same manufacturer or deal with the temperature issue. I was planning on getting Samsung Pro 850 128 GB SSD and a WD Black 2TB HDD...pending on discovery of what HDD is in right now.

Everything I've read said not to enable TRIM because Yosemite won't work with it enabled. I'm familiar with the link from RKaufmann87, but I'll admit I don't fully understand it (other than don't enable TRIM, or else). There's another page that shows how to use the full Mt Lion OS to set up Fusion on any Mac (not just the Mini). I found the Cindori link about Trim and Yosemite while searching for Fusion support on the newer OS. I'm currently running Snow Leopard on the iMac and Mt Lion on my MBP, and I've been reluctant to upgrade to either Mavericks or Yosemite (just me...no reason to upgrade or not to upgrade...everything is working right now).

BTW, I'm really a PC guy who adopted Mac a year ago to avoid getting voted off the island by my wife and kids who are dedicated Apple fans. 🙂

Jan 6, 2015 6:43 AM in response to PigeonF16

Pigeon,

I'm just adding a second drive since the original HDD is fine. The SSD is only going to be 120 GB. I got the EVO because I got a good deal on it. It was only 70 bucks and I've had a good experience with the PRO and wanted to stick with SAMSUNG. Not that it makes much difference but the 2010 iMac is only SATAII not SATAIII so any decent drive would suffice. The iMac doesn't get much use but it can't load programs fast enough and the boot time is horrendous.

You can certainly create a fusion drive and let the OS sort out how it wants to allocate the files but I'm just going this route since it's just easier for me to manage everything.

I think I'll be fine with the temperature issue since the OS will still be getting information from that drive. I'm going to contact OWC to make sure because I saw some conflicting comments about that setup that had me concerned.

In your case I would replace the HDD and add the SSD. Use the kit I linked above for the SSD and this one: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMACHDD09/ for the new HDD (assuming you get a third party HDD )which should fix any fan issues.

I saw that people were using software to control the fans and I'm not a fan of that (pun intended lol). But yes certainly get both drives. Should only cost you about 200 bucks. You can't go wrong with Samsung drives. The PRO is a monster in my MBP but you could really just go with the 840 EVO and save a bit of money since you'll have to buy both kit (if I'm thinking your situation correctly).

I've disabled TRIM on my MBP and won't be using it on the iMac either. I'll just keep an eye on the performance every few months but it should be noticeable so probably won't need much attention.

I know people love the earlier versions of OS X because they were much cleaner and ran without many issues. I just like having the latest software.

I still need to get a anti static mat before I start digging inside the computer. I really don't want to brick this very expensive computer especially since it's winter and static is everywhere.

🙂

Jan 6, 2015 9:34 AM in response to spartan156

Spartan156

Question: does the OWC SSD kit data cable (3GB/s) affect SSD choice? What about brand of SSD? I was planning on getting a 6GB/s drive. OWC steers you to the OWC SSDs which claims are fully compatible with Mac. I also wanted Samsung 850 Pro, but want to make sure I get something compatible.

Read this thread in Apple Support:

Replace harddrive 27" iMac mid 2010, 1TB->2TB?

This guy did a second SSD install like you want. He also described the thermal issue for replacing HDD which he did in addition to the second SSD. His discussion of fan speed is interesting even if it doesn't affect your project.

Thanks for the info. I spoke with OWC, MacMall and iFix-it yesterday; I don't recall which rep mentioned the thermal sensor, but it was probably MacMall since OWC sells an inline digital thermal cable. The rep (MacMall?) said you must use the same HDD manufacturer for the replacement HDD (my problem, not yours); he also mentioned software solutions but that they don't use/recommend them. OWC website claims their cable eliminates that problem.

The SSD install kit from OWC ($29) looks the same as iFixit's dual HDD kit ($50). OWC kits lists data cable at 3GB/s. iFix-it kit doesn't list a cable speed. Other differences are very minor: different tools, cloth or spudger.... iFix-it's installation guide includes lots of comments from folks who used it...well worth the read.

When you wrote that you would manage all the software instead of letting the OS do it (Fusion), are you loading the OS and all programs on the SSD and using the HDD for data storage?

I wanted to get all my stuff from one vendor, which looks like OWC at the moment. However, when you start from iMac 2010 upgrades, OWC gives you only OWC SSDs. Just trying to ensure I buy an SSD that's compatible with iMac.

Jan 6, 2015 10:16 AM in response to PigeonF16

Answering some of my own questions:

I think the 6GB/s SSD will be faster even with the iMac SATA II limitation. Found several articles about it; not sure what to believe. OWC steers you to 3GB/s SSDs when you start with 2010 iMac upgrade.

For the data cable, I'm convinced the 3GB/s data cable in the OWC kit will work with either 6GB or 3GB SSDs. Here's an article about it:

Scroll to the conclusion: a wire is a wire as long as it's the same gage.

The only caveat is there are some inferior brands of cables (cheap connectors, etc), but the 3GB v. 6GB doesn't affect performance.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SATA-3Gb-s-vs-6Gb-s-Cable-Performance- Revisited-183/

Jan 6, 2015 10:55 AM in response to PigeonF16

The cabling does not affect SSD choice. There aren't many SATAII drives that you can buy, everything is SATAIII. The plus side is when this computer eventually dies the drive should still be usable for other purposes so just get a SATAIII drive plus you know you're getting the latest technology (granted you cant access it much) and the warranties are better. I think my 840 PRO comes with a five year which is excellent.

Any brand of SSD works but I would stick with Samsung or Crucial or Kingston again anything SATAIII. OWC steers you cause they want to make money obviously but apparently their drives just work better with some firmware trickery I guess.

You can certainly go with the 850 PRO but I think its unnecessary given you'll be limited to 200-250mbps read/write. I think an 840 PRO or EVO is sufficient and plus you'll save money.

And yes I always read comments from as many places as possible before attempting any project to fully ensure any problems I encounter will have a solution or just advice to make the project easier.

Yes I'll be keeping apps on the SSD and the HDD for storage. I have lots of pictures which really don't need fast access times. I just want the programs I do use to run smoothly. Plus the computer should be quieter because the HDD can be hibernating more. I hope that'll be the case.

You don't have to stick with one vendor but do what works for you. Remember any SSD will work. There is really no compatibility issue you'll run into. Just the HDD part you will.

Jan 17, 2015 7:59 AM in response to spartan156

Finished and things are running smoothly after Titanic proportion disaster. 3 Things:

1. Nearly ruined the whole job on the last step putting it back together. I used the OWC dual SSD install kit and tools and the OWC digital thermal sensor for the replacement HDD. I combined the two OWC videos and also used iFix-it's instructions. I installed the WD 2TB Caviar Black in the first bay (replaced the original Seagate 1TB) and installed the Samsung Pro 850 SSD where OWC said. iFix-it has you remove the optical disk drive and put it behind that, but some posters said they thought that would block air flow. I used OWC's location which doesn't require removing the optical drive. However, I removed the optical drive just to have better access to install the 2nd data cable on the back of the logic board (hardest part of the install...well, maybe not...). Once I had the data cable plugged in, the rest went back into place without much difficulty. The very last cable you plug in at the top left (first unplug in the break down) was my pitfall. I left the iMac 27" on its stand. Without the glass and the LCD, the iMac leans all the way back; I couldn't figure out how to lock the stand in one place. Not to worry, I'll just hold the LCD in place like in the video while I connect the cables. On the very last cable to connect, you guessed it, the LCD flips out of the case and onto the table! All the previously connected cables came undone. Luckily, there was no apparent damage to the LCD (fingers crossed). Two of the cable connectors were damaged by being yanked out. The LCD thermal sensor was the worst. I spent quite a while carefully bending the two copper prongs back to their original position. I didn't think of it until afterward, but the thermal sensor on the hard drive I removed had the same connector type. Regardless, I spent several hours and multiple attempts to connect the LCD thermal sensor before I had success. Once I got the machine back together, I powered it up....it worked. I loaded the Snow Leopard install disk and formatted the drives separately...that worked. The OS install worked...Whew! Do I tell my wife? I don't think so. Regardless, I can boot the OS from either drive, and I'm using the 2TB drive until I figure my next step. Lesson to those attempting: figure out how you will secure the iMac in the stand while reinstalling the LCD (and also while removing it).

2. I restored the latest Time Machine backup, which unfortunately was 3 months old. The only thing important missing is all the pictures of our kids' Cross Country season. I put the pictures from my wife's camera SD card which has many of those pictures, but not all. The TM backup also is missing some pictures from before the last backup. You can see blank pictures in iPhoto with a thumbnail, but no actual picture. Not sure how that happened or how to fix it. I have several TM backups in a sparsebundle file that goes up to Sep 30, 2014. At one point I found another sparsebundle that had a Dec 29, 2014 date, but I can't find that now. I have 2 3TB Seagate external drives that I've used for TM backups. I think the problem is from switching backup disks using Snow Leopard. Any advice on how to use TM to find that missing backup or how to find the missing photos in the backup I have would be very appreciated.

3. How should I run these drives? Right now I'm not using the SSD because my intent was to set up fusion. However, the SSD is only 128GB and I needed to use the 2TB WD to restore the TM backup. Do I need to upgrade from Snow Leopard to make fusion work? If so, which OS should I use? Mavericks and Yosemite are both free, but I've heard many awful things about them. I'm happy with Mt Lion on my MBP, and I think it's only a $20 upgrade for a new disk. Or, I could manage things manually and run the OS and apps on the SSD and use the WD as storage. If I do that, can TM backup both drives in the same backup, or do I need to run separate backups?

Thanks for reading. Hope your install goes better than mine.

Installing SSD iMac 2010

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.