Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Yosemite login slow to accept password

I recently enabled a password on my mac for login and wake from sleep. The problem I am having is that a good 50% of the time I enter the password (either initial login or wake from sleep) it just sits there with a spinning wheel.. not the beachball but the "I am doing something" spinner. The wait time for the password to be accepted is anywhere from 45-90 seconds. All other times the acceptance is immediate.

I have tried disabling the password and enabling it, changing the password from my iCloud ID to a stand alone ID and it still keeps happening. One could say so what but I am locking my pc after 5 minutes idle so I am having to input the password a lot and those minutes of waiting are adding up.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 5:42 PM

1 reply

Feb 14, 2015 3:37 AM in response to Erieg1969

Upon suffering similar symptoms, I was able to diagnose, reproduce, and fix the problem, as documented on the Apple StackExchange question "This “weird group trick" makes MacBook Pro login, apps, and systems run slow slow slow … but why?"

URL: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/171862/this-weird-group-trick-makes-mac book-pro-login-apps-and-systems-run-slow-slo

The fix in a nutshell: identify and eliminate circular group inclusions.

OSX Yosemite login slow to accept password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.