Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse doing "swipe back" when trying to scroll down post-Yosemite

I've been using my magic mouse for 3 years since I purchased my iMac, and have never had any issues with it. Since upgrading to Yosemite, much of the time (enough to be extremely annoying - 20% or so?), when scrolling down on a web page, the mouse reads the gesture as a swipe back instead of a scroll. I've attempted to hold the mouse at a different angle, which is uncomfortable and doesn't really help any in any case. Is there a way to recalibrate the gestures so that it re-learns what scrolling down looks like (and stops going to the previous page, gah!)? Another solution?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 9:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 3:40 PM

Similar issue for me, and it appears to be intermittent. On some pages, when scrolling up via the Magic Mouse I get the "Swipe Back" behavior. This is a pain when completing forms and accidentally navigating away.

I just starting testing this and it's definitely intermittent. I'm using trello.com, and when inside a board or list, I can scroll up repeatedly, then start to get Swip Back when scrolling up. I've been noticing this behavior for a few weeks now, and just put it together that it may be the Yosemite upgrade.

Funny thing is it doesn't seem to happen for me on Apple.com.

65 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2015 3:40 PM in response to avalei

Similar issue for me, and it appears to be intermittent. On some pages, when scrolling up via the Magic Mouse I get the "Swipe Back" behavior. This is a pain when completing forms and accidentally navigating away.

I just starting testing this and it's definitely intermittent. I'm using trello.com, and when inside a board or list, I can scroll up repeatedly, then start to get Swip Back when scrolling up. I've been noticing this behavior for a few weeks now, and just put it together that it may be the Yosemite upgrade.

Funny thing is it doesn't seem to happen for me on Apple.com.

Jan 9, 2015 3:12 PM in response to avalei

Yes, this is very frustrating. Magic Mouse has been working fine for many years. Once I upgraded to Yosemite, you have to be very precise about scrolling in a vertical manner on the mouse. Unfortunately, the way our hands are shaped, scrolling is usually done in a diagonal manner. I've also noticed this issue on my Macbook Pro's trackpad (also after upgrading to Yosemite). It's worth noting that I believe this issue mostly applies when the "natural scroll direction" is disabled.

Jan 19, 2015 12:21 PM in response to avalei

This is also happening to me on the Macbook Pro trackpad. I'm trying to be patient with it, but it does gets frustrating. It might not help that I'm left-handed, and my downward scrolling motion tends to go slightly diagonally to the left. But this definitely wasn't a problem at all before upgrading to Yosemite. I hope Apple has a fix for this soon!

Jan 28, 2015 5:53 PM in response to avalei

Same with me. Chrome is a mess, and it seems once the accidental back/forward behavior starts, it gets even more sensitive. Moving the mouse around a little and carefully scrolling seems to get it back to its senses a little, but it's really tricky to get it not to back/forward at that point.

I've had this mouse with no problems since 2010 until recently. I'm don't remember if it started with Yosemite or late in Mavericks, but I'm pretty sure I had the problem slightly before Yosemite.

Jan 29, 2015 12:59 PM in response to ExMonk

I found a workaround using the free app BetterTouchTool. I replaced Yosemite's swipe gestures with BetterTouchTool's gestures which are less sensitive to slight left/right angles. I did the following:

- Disabled the magic mouse swipe gestures in OS X preferences

- In BetterTouchTool I created two new gestures:

Single Finger Swipe Right >>> Mimic Standard Gestures -> 3F Swipe Right

Single Finger Swipe Left >>> Mimic Standard Gestures -> 3F Swipe Left

The main problems with this workaround I've found so far is that you lose the on-screen arrows that show you that you're about to activate the gesture. Also, you have to be very careful on a page with horizontal scrolling to avoid activating the gesture.

Magic Mouse doing "swipe back" when trying to scroll down post-Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.