Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.5 Installation Issues

Hi,

I am trying to install 10.5 Server on a PPC dual G5 Xserve.

The installation appears to go well until it asks me how I want to configure the server.

The options are: Standard, Workgroup or Advanced

Selecting the first or second option take me an error message "The network is not active."

I verified that it is active with another machine. I also tried using the other port. No dice.

The 3rd option "Advanced" takes me to a Serial Number Entry page. So I enter all of my info and double-check it. I hit enter and I see a little ball spinning as if to indicate it's chewing on something. Nothing ever happens. How does this verification happen? Does it "phone home" to verify the number? If so, I assume my LACK of connection may be the issue?

At this level I am a PC guy (I admit). But I have always loved the simplicity of the Mac. I actually owned Macs all the way back to the II series. I feel like I'm in a Windows world when I have to deal with serial numbers and licensing. It seems such a waste of time.

Have I missed something obvious? Would somebody please point me in the right direction?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Xserve, OS X Server, Dual G5 Xserve

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 11:09 PM

3 replies

Jan 5, 2015 1:52 PM in response to Jim361036

The serial number verification was always the flakiest part of installing Mac OS X Server, and it does require an active network connection.

There is a way around it, although it's a little tricky, and still requires an active network connection (you can ssh into the server during install and kill the serialnumberd process to allow the installation to continue.

Ultimately you'll have the same issue with the Standard and Workgroup options, too, so that's where you should focus. When you say you 'verified that it is active', what do you mean? How did you verify this? Did you configure IP addresses for the interface?

Jan 5, 2015 2:10 PM in response to Camelot

Thanks for the reply,

I kinda figured I'd end up with an issue either way if it didn't like the serial.

By active, I mean I ran a new Ethernet cable down the hall and used a different machine to verify Internet.

I don't believe I had come to a screen to configure the addresses yet. I was still in the initial installation stage.

I haven't been on the Apple Discussion boards in years - will I be able to 'like' many posts or only one?

Thanks for your help so far

10.5 Installation Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.