Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite Logon to OD

Hello Community,

I setup a Yosemite Server (OS X Server 4.0) from scratch. All works fine there.

I upgraded my iMac from Mavericks to Yosemite and now I could not open any programs, when I logg on as an Networkuser to the Server. I can open Applications, which are placed in the Dock, but I can not do anything from the Finder-Line at top of my Desktop.

I setup an Mac OS X MountainLion in a VM and found out, that I can log on to the Servers OD and as a Networkuser, with all working fine! So I think it is a problem of the Yosemite Client.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Greets

Heiner

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 1:57 AM

4 replies

Jan 6, 2015 3:23 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc for your reply.

The Link, you sent, do not match my problem. There is no other user logged on as the user I try to logon. I can log on to the Networkers account. Getting the Desktop I can only start Applications, which placed in the Dock. I can not use the Finder to get access to the "programs"-Folder. So that's my problem.

Do you have an idea for a solution for this issue?

Greets

Heiner

Jan 6, 2015 8:19 AM in response to heinerfromhamburg

Many Open Directory problems can be resolved by taking the following steps. Test after each one, and back up all data before making any changes.

1. The OD master must have a static IP address on the local network, not a dynamic address. It must not be connected to the same network with more than one interface; e.g., Ethernet and Wi-Fi.

2. You must have a working DNS service, and the server's hostname must match its fully-qualified domain name. To confirm, select the server by name in the sidebar of the Server application window, then select the Overview tab. Click the Edit button on the Host Name line. On the Accessing your Server sheet, Domain Name should be selected. Change the Host Name, if necessary. The server must have at least a three-level name (e.g. "server.yourdomain.com"), and the name must not be in the ".local" top-level domain, which is reserved for Bonjour.

3. The primary DNS server used by the server must be itself, unless you're using another server for internal DNS. The only DNS server set on the clients should be the internal one, which they should get from DHCP if applicable.

4. Follow these instructions to rebuild the Kerberos configuration on the master.

5. If you use authenticated binding, check the validity of the master's certificate. The common name must match the hostname and domain name. Deselecting and then reselecting the certificate in Server.app has been reported to have an effect in some cases. Otherwise delete all certificates and create new ones.

6. Unbind and then rebind the clients in the Users & Groups preference pane. Use the fully-qualified domain name of the master.

7. Reboot the master and the clients.

8. Don't log in to the server with a network user's account.

9. Disable any internal firewalls in use, including third-party "security" software.

10. If you've created any replica servers, delete them.

11. If OD has only recently stopped working when it was working before, you may be able to restore it from the automatic backup in /var/db/backups, or from a Time Machine snapshot of that backup.

12. As a last resort, export all OD users. In the Open Directory pane of Server, delete the OD server. Then recreate it and import the users. Ensure that the UID's are in the 1001+ range.

If you get this far without solving the problem, then you'll need to examine the logs in the Open Directory section of the log list in the Server app, and also the system log on the clients.

Yosemite Logon to OD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.