Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off auto-hyphenation on Pages 2.5 for iPad? Thanks!

THe auto-hyphenation is driving me crazy. Is there a way to get rid of it? I'm using Pages 2.5 for iPad.

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 7:49 AM

14 replies

Jan 5, 2015 8:30 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Pages decides when it's going to hyphenate words at the end of a line. It's a horrible feature!

THe document I'm working on was originally a Word document. There was no hyphenation at the end of lines because I turned off that feature, auto-hyphenation, in Word. I used to be able to turn it off in older versions of Pages for iPad, but don't see how in the current version. I don't know how to turn it off for existing documents. And I can't see how to turn it off for templates either. Thanks.

Jan 10, 2015 3:46 PM in response to Linzj

I have the same problem. In my case, the document is one I created from start using the Blank template in Pages on my Mac. The Mac version of this document doesn't insist on hyphenating word at the darnedest places, but the iOS (8.1) version does. What I am hearing from this tread is that this is a feature we will have to wait on Apple for.

Jan 10, 2015 4:05 PM in response to Camping Doc

I e-mailed Apple about the problem, for whatever that's worth. I could set older versions of Pages for iPad so there was no hyphenation, and I don't understand why they eliminated that feature with this version. I tried to manually remove the end-of-line hyphens, and it won't even let me do that. Eventually, I'll have to convert everything back to Word to try to clean up the mess. You're right. We just have to wait and hope Apple fixes the problem.

Apr 14, 2015 2:59 PM in response to Linzj

Linzj,

You were not imagining. There is a default hyphenation in Pages '09. Here's how you can disable it per document but apparently not forever!

See: Pages '09: Using Automatic Hyphenation

Pages '09: Using Automatic Hyphenation

By default, Pages automatically hyphenates words if they need to break at the end of a line.

Here are ways to turn hyphenation on or off:

• To turn hyphenation on or off for the entire document, click Inspector in the toolbar, click the Document button, and then select or deselect Hyphenate (in the Document pane).
  • To turn off hyphenation for a particular paragraph, select the paragraph, click Inspector in the toolbar, click the Text button, click More, and then select “Remove hyphenation for paragraph.”
  • To turn hyphenation on or off for a word, click the word while holding down the Control key, and then choose Never Hyphenate or Allow Hyphenation from the shortcut menu.Turning hyphenation on or off for a word will affect every instance of that word in your document.

May 22, 2015 3:06 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

I didn't mean to offend. I am a big fan of Steve Jobs, warts & all, and I know it drove him nuts when any little feature of his products (including software) failed to delight the user. I always imagine him going balistic every time Siri botches my simplest requests. The problem with your solution if I understand it is that you're addressing the conversion from Word to Pages. I want to live a Word-free life; I want Pages to let me disable auto-select whether or not the doc came from Word.

How do I turn off auto-hyphenation on Pages 2.5 for iPad? Thanks!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.