Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine v.1 lost file folder names all the way back to "the beginning of time"

I was experiencing some increasingly erratic system problems with my White 2006 iMac running OS 10.5.8. My guess is that these problems were due to power outages cutting power to the iMac while it was in use.

- I tried Disk Utility from the Install Disk and it cleaned the HD but when I ran Verify Disk from Disk Utility off the HD it reported errors and I continued having problems.

-- I decided to wipe the HD and reinstall everything.

--- The first thing I did was backup with Time Machine v.1 and then disconnect the backup drive.

--- After reloading the OS and upgrades I ran Verify Disk from Disk Utility off the HD and it reported no errors.

---- Skipping all the headache a reinstall entailed ... I reloaded my files from the external backup drive Time Machine backups by grabbing the folders and pulling them to the cleaned HD.

----- I found large portions of files names missing. They look to be exclusively file names starting with a number that I use to order files ( 01. , 02. , 03. ... etc) as opposed to alphabetical listing.

----- These files - so far - are all located on a single folder branch. Meaning: as I follow the folder tree down I get to a list of project folders and some or all are missing everything but the starting number. I wrote this off as something to do with the hard drive operation problem but ...

------ ... all the same backup folders in Time Machine on my Seagate GoFlex have also lost their names all the way back for 2 years, when I started using Time Machine and the GoFlex.

------ I know for a for a fact the folder names were intact before I cleaned the iMac HD since I regularly use those files.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 9:31 AM

5 replies

Jan 5, 2015 10:20 AM in response to thom2b

They aren't what they appear to be on the TM, most are aliases to aliases to aliases when files are changed, I think only TM understands how/where the files are actually stored.

Later versions of the OS with Restore Partitions can Restore also

Do run DU on the TM drive... it certainly can't hurt at this point.

I recommend cloning your drives instead of TM, not only can you copy files/folders over if needed, you can actually boot from your backup & continue working, or even clone back to the Internal...

Get carbon copy cloner to make an exact copy of your old HD to the New one...

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Or SuperDuper...

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/

Or the most expensive one & my favorite, Tri-Backup...

http://www.tri-edre.com/english/tribackup.html

Jan 14, 2015 11:28 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua,

It sounds like having pulled a folder from the GoFlex made Time Machine change past folder names (?).

That is hard for me to understand. I could understand that the folder copied across would have problems - not that Time Machine would alter all historic back-ups on the back-up drive.

I suppose if this is how TIme Machine works there is little point in it. It is safer to just drag my folders over to the external drive when I want to back-up.

-----------------------

If there are any other suggests on what might be done to undo what has been done that would be great.

Thank you

Time Machine v.1 lost file folder names all the way back to "the beginning of time"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.