Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone not charging (no battery icon)

My iPhone has stopped charging, I attempted to charge it from 6% and it simply wasn't recognising the cable. I tried several different cables (all official apple leads), several plugs and charging through my MacBook but none of them seemed to work. The phone eventually died and I was prompted with the "battery needs charging/plug it in" icon, I left it plugged in for over 30mins in the hope it might have a connection and just not appearing. However now it seems the battery has completely ran out of juice as I don't even get the "battery dead" icon anymore and it's a black screen. Tried several restarts, hard resets and cleaning the charging port, but it still won't charge 😟 Can anyone give any additional advice or help? Thank you

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2, Out of Warranty

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 9:24 AM

Just to be sure leave the phone plugged in for a couple hours. If no joy take the phone into an Apple store or Authorized Apple Service Provider. If you are not aware Apple has a battery replacement program. Enter your serial number and see if you qualify.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

2 replies

Jan 5, 2015 9:31 AM in response to Chris Wilcock

There aren't too many things that prevent an iPhone from charging. You already eliminated some of them by trying a different cable and wall charger. The next thing to check is whether there might be dirt, lint or fuzz in the connection port. If you see anything in there carefully clean it with a wooden toothpick.

When a phone with a completely dead battery is plugged in to charge it usually takes 15-30 minutes before you note any response. So wait 30 minutes then reset the phone. Press and hold both the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button continuously until the Apple logo appears. Then release the button and let the device restart. You will not lose data doing this. It's like a computer reboot.

If the phone restarts let it continue to charge until the battery is 100%. If the phone does not start you probably have a hardware failure inside the phone. Make an appointment at an Apple Store to have your device examined by a technician. Or contact Apple Support.

iPhone not charging (no battery icon)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.