Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I not post a question?

I'm a registered Apple user (account, password, etc). I'd like to post a question about an iMac support stand but the system won't permit me to post. What's up?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 10:19 AM

10 replies

Jan 5, 2015 10:31 AM in response to David C. Murray

David

What Kappy said...

The SiteWare has occasional glitches. If one just pushes on, sometimes it will be a non-event. If you create a long post an this occurs, you likely will be able to copy your work to the clipboard, paste into a text doc, then start over.

All of us have experienced this or some other of our "glitches du jour" - with your long membership, it is a wonder it has not happened to ya before 😉

ÇÇÇ

Jan 5, 2015 11:36 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

No one is sure. It's been brought up to the hosts quite a few times. Personally (no true knowledge), I think it's intentional. These forums are considered the busiest in the world. Can't remember how many members there are, but it's a staggering number. Automatically logging users out after a fixed idle period is one way to keep the load on the servers down, and keep enough connections open for others trying to log in.

Jan 5, 2015 12:18 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Leaving this open will defeat the timer...

User uploaded file

If intentional that composing NOT prevent timeout and editing WILL prevent timeout, it seems bass-ackwards to me.

I would think that good UX design would make initial contact as easy as possible and dissuade languishing by the absent-minded only.

I am not sure about the most trafficked forum though. I'll stipulate VERY Large. Microsoft has a massively bigger installed base and is notoriously buggy, from which I would deduce much more active a forum and server loads.

From what I understand - and I know quite a bit about it - just being logged in and sitting idle on the client side has NO Load on the server. The server-side only responds to requests. It doesn't idle like a car motor - nor is it like an old-timey telephone switchboard. The server array does indeed have some limit to open sockets (number is, and must be, huge), but they are used for milliseconds (nano?) and then are available for new requests and responses.

The LoginTimer is in a cookie expiration TimeStamp and is solely client-side computing. tt2 discovered the compose pane timeoutDefeater and I proved the details in CookieTESTing - from " Cannot post - User ' ' is banned from posting. | Apple Support Communities "

highest regards

ÇÇÇ

Jan 5, 2015 12:25 PM in response to David C. Murray

Howdy David

Am I to understand that you believe that your posing of a New Question failure was a persistent one? That cannot be - obviously - as you were able to post THIS question thread in which we correspond 😉

Clearing stuff can't hurt, but is a hassle - not only here but other websites are then affected for what we believe is an unnecessary action. 'Twas a temporary glitch - unless there is more to the story to which we are not privy.

glad you're good to go though.

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain 😮

ÇÇÇ

Why can I not post a question?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.