Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mac is running on 10.5.8 and I need to download Java 8 for work - pls help I am rubbish with IT

I am trying to download java 8 for home working (requirement of my company) my current software will not allow me to do this.

How can I get version OSX 10.6 (minimum requirement for my work system to enable) would prefer 10.10.

I am completely useless with IT so apologies in advance.

Please help

Thanks

Nicki

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 11:45 AM

3 replies

Jan 5, 2015 11:50 AM in response to NickiMB10

You can't install Java 8 on your Mac with 10.5.8.

Mac OS X

• Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X 10.8.3+, 10.9+
  • Administrator privileges for installation
  • 64-bit browser

A 64-bit browser (Safari, Firefox, or Chrome for example) is required to run Oracle Java on Mac OS X.

If you Mac will support Yosemite you will need to purchase from Apple the Snow Leopard install DVD

Once you have installed that you will be able to upgrade to 10.6.8 which will give you the App Store where you can download Yosemite.

If you need help determining if your Mac will support Yosemite, post the full specs for it here and we can you determine if it is.

Jan 5, 2015 1:10 PM in response to Allan Eckert

I think these are my details:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B06

SMC Version (system): 1.33f8

Serial Number (system): W8******1GA

Hardware UUID: EE3C207A-767B-5C56-8D7D-1D208D3B9069

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

My mac is running on 10.5.8 and I need to download Java 8 for work - pls help I am rubbish with IT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.