Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp (Win7) slow after Yosemite upgrade

Hi all,

Our tech consultant upgraded all our office workstations to Yosemite. I previously had a clean install of Mavericks that worked just fine with Bootcamp. I'm on a mid 2010 27" iMac. i7 860 2.8ghz, 12ghz ram, 512mb gpu, all latest drivers. Partition is about 50% empty.

Since the upgrade, Windows 7 Home Premium on Bootcamp runs slow. Revit takes ~5 minutes to load. It used to take 30s or less. Windows update takes about 7 minutes to to search for updates, and everything comes to a standstill while it runs now. AutoCAD 2014 is sluggish. I can barely navigate small (100kb) files now without "lag".

I don't understand what's going on. The operating systems are installed on separate partitions. Would a clean install of Windows 7 fix this?

OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), null

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 1:03 PM

13 replies

Jan 6, 2015 6:49 AM in response to Loner T

That's what I assumed too...but the only thing that's been done to the machine before the problem began was upgrading to Yosemite. Is it possible either the drivers I downloaded to usb via Bootcamp assistant in Mavericks for Windows 7 no longer function properly? I can only run Bootcamp 4.0. I was mistaken about my iMac, it's a mid-2009, not 2010.

No Fusion drive, 1tb data.

What would you recommend doing, aside from running chkdsk or erasing the Bootcamp partition, repartitioning it, and reinstalling the OS?

Jan 6, 2015 7:04 AM in response to biaadm

The edit I was typing before the website timed out and edit button disappeared..

chkdsk "the drive is clean"

The SMART status of the disk is fine. Since the upgrade, I'm also unable to get into Bootcamp via holding down option when I startup the machine. The icons don't show up. I have to do it via system prefs > startup disk. That doesn't seem right.

Jan 6, 2015 7:32 AM in response to biaadm

biaadm wrote:

That's what I assumed too...but the only thing that's been done to the machine before the problem began was upgrading to Yosemite.

If you have an HDD which is fragmented, it can slow your machine down, irrespective of the OS you have running. OSX pins as much as possible in memory, so there may not be a perceptible change. Windows paging may be causing issues which are coincidental with the Yosemite upgrade. Either de-fragment the disk on both OSX and Windows side, or backup both installations, and erase disk and restore both from a backup. There are some challenges with restoring a Windows backup to a BC partition, but there are third-party commercial products which can address some of these. Another option on older Mac hardware is to replace HDDs with SSDs/SSHDs.

Is it possible either the drivers I downloaded to usb via Bootcamp assistant in Mavericks for Windows 7 no longer function properly? I can only run Bootcamp 4.0. I was mistaken about my iMac, it's a mid-2009, not 2010.

From Boot Camp Support Software 4.0.4033 supports iMac (20-inch, Early 2009 & Mid 2009). Once BC drivers are installed, the only methods of a driver update are via Windows Update or manually via BC or downloading drivers manually from a non-Apple website. If you have Windows Update enabled, you can check driver versions by looking at (example from Windows 8.1).

User uploaded file

Since the upgrade, I'm also unable to get into Bootcamp via holding down option when I startup the machine. The icons don't show up. I have to do it via system prefs > startup disk. That doesn't seem right.

The Yosemite Bootmanager has some differences with Mavericks, but this should work. Was you Windows partition resized at any point in time after the original Windows installation?

Jan 15, 2015 11:47 AM in response to Loner T

The Bootcamp partition was a clean install 2 weeks before the Yosemite upgrade, with two products installed on it aside from the OS and drivers. It hadn't been used more than a handful of times in the interim. I ran Disk Defragmenter. It took about 20min to Analyze the 140gb partition. Showed up as 12% fragmented. Defragged and rebooted. No noticeable improvement. The HDD is 1tb total. The OSX partition is 96% empty.

The partition had not been resized at any point. Windows update doesn't have any updates left to install.

Mar 1, 2015 1:54 PM in response to Loner T

Macbook Pro Retina Win7-64Pro.

It has one local Drive Apple SSD SM256E ATA Drive. I deactivated BT, and Wireless in the device manager.
I still have a very long black screen before Window does start on this machine, restart is normal.

So when I turn on the Macbook, I got a black screen for about 30secs - after that I do see the normal windows boot logo.
When I start OSX it`s about the same time where I see a progress bar due to Yosemite startup, ....

no external peripherals are connected to this machine.

Mar 1, 2015 2:14 PM in response to Loner T

EtreCheck version: 2.1.8 (121)

Hardware Information: ℹ️

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) (Technical Specifications)

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro10,1

1 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 CPU: 4-core

8 GB RAM Not upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported

Wireless: en0: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Battery Health: Normal - Cycle count 114

Video Information: ℹ️

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Color LCD spdisplays_2880x1800Retina

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M - VRAM: 1024 MB

System Software: ℹ️

OS X 10.10.2 (14C109) - Time since boot: 0:3:37

Disk Information: ℹ️

APPLE SSD SM256E disk0 : (251 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / : 120.31 GB (50.55 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

BOOTCAMP (disk0s4) /Volumes/BOOTCAMP : 129.83 GB (19.71 GB free)

USB Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Thunderbolt Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Configuration files: ℹ️

/etc/hosts - Count: 17

Gatekeeper: ℹ️

Mac App Store and identified developers

Kernel Extensions: ℹ️

/Applications/myHack.app

[not loaded] com.Apple.driver.PS2Keyboard (1.1.0) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.Apple.driver.PS2Mouse (1.2.0) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.Apple.driver.PS2Trackpad (1.1.0) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.evosx86.driver.lspcidrv (1.0) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.sojugarden.myHack (1.1 - SDK 10.7) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.yourcompany.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub (1.0.0d1) [Click for support]

[not loaded] org.netkas.FakeSMC (4.2.0 - SDK 10.7) [Click for support]

[not loaded] org.tgwbd.driver.NullCPUPowerManagement (1.0.0d2) [Click for support]

/Library/Extensions

[not loaded] jp.co.yamaha.driver.YamahaSteinbergUSBAudio (1.8.32 - SDK 10.6) [Click for support]

/System/Library/Extensions

[not loaded] com.nvidia.CUDA (1.1.0) [Click for support]

Startup Items: ℹ️

CUDA: Path: /System/Library/StartupItems/CUDA

HWNetMgr: Path: /Library/StartupItems/HWNetMgr

HWPortDetect: Path: /Library/StartupItems/HWPortDetect

StartOuc: Path: /Library/StartupItems/StartOuc

Startup items are obsolete in OS X Yosemite

Launch Agents: ℹ️

[not loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist [Click for support]

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.oracle.java.JavaUpdateHelper.plist [Click for support]

User Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist [Click for support]

User Login Items: ℹ️

iTunesHelper Programm (/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 16.0.0.305 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Flash Player: Version: 16.0.0.305 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: Java 7 Update 65 Check version

Default Browser: Version: 600 - SDK 10.10

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

CUDA Preferences [Click for support]

Flash Player [Click for support]

FUSE for OS X (OSXFUSE) [Click for support]

Java [Click for support]

MacFUSE [Click for support]

NTFS-3G [Click for support]

Yamaha Steinberg USB [Click for support]

Time Machine: ℹ️

Auto backup: YES

Volumes being backed up:

Macintosh HD: Disk size: 120.31 GB Disk used: 69.75 GB

Destinations:

BACKUP [Local]

Total size: 999.86 GB

Total number of backups: 1

Oldest backup: 2014-10-28 13:16:38 +0000

Last backup: 2014-10-28 13:16:38 +0000

Size of backup disk: Excellent

Backup size 999.86 GB > (Disk size 120.31 GB X 3)

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

4% WindowServer

1% fontd

0% AppleSpell

0% opendirectoryd

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

137 MB ocspd

137 MB Google Chrome

120 MB Google Chrome Helper

103 MB mds_stores

103 MB WindowServer

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

4.64 GB Free RAM

2.61 GB Active RAM

439 MB Inactive RAM

886 MB Wired RAM

870 MB Page-ins

0 B Page-outs

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️

Mar 1, 2015, 11:59:28 PM Self test - passed

Bootcamp (Win7) slow after Yosemite upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.