Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod says "scan drive now to fix it" when connected to Itunes

I have an ipod classic 6th Gen. It has worked fine until I bought a new laptop the other day and opened up a new itunes account and transferred my music across. All the music has synced onto the ipod but now I get a blue message come up in the top right hand of the screen every time I connect the ipod to itunes which says - "there is a problem with this drive (f drive). Scan the drive now to fix it". If I click on this blue icon it says that errors have been found and I need to repair the drive via windows. The ipod seems to work fine and itunes plays fine. Is there a problem and what do I do? I don't want to end up wiping all my music off or causing an unneccesary problem where there isn't one.

Thanks

iPod classic, Windows 8

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 1:54 PM

8 replies

Feb 12, 2016 8:57 PM in response to carlhelp

I think that may be an error message from Windows, not from iTunes. If there is a problem with the "drive" (which is the iPod's storage in this case), it's best and easiest to do a Restore on the iPod using iTunes. This erases the iPod, reinstalls its software, and sets it to default settings. The Restore button is on the iPod's Summary settings screen in iTunes.

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

After the Restore, try syncing your music back.

Feb 12, 2016 11:08 PM in response to carlhelp

So, I guess you are now passes that error message...

Loading new songs on an iPod depends on its current setting; whether it is set up to load songs manually, or by using automatic syncing. To check, select the iPod in iTunes (click its device button on horizontal bar) to show its Summary settings screen in iTunes window. There is a checkbox there for Manually manage music and videos. Without changing the current setting, is that checkbox currently checked or not checked?

Feb 13, 2016 8:46 AM in response to carlhelp

Your iPod is set to load songs manually. Show your iTunes music library (click Music button at left end of horizontal bar). Near middle of horizontal bar, click Playlists. A sidebar appears along left side of window, with your iPod listed under Devices. Choose a view for your music library using the control at right end of horizontal bar. I usually use the Songs view, to show a plain song list with columns. But in this case, if you want to load "a new CD" (an album), you can use the Albums view. Scroll the library to show that new album's artwork tile. Click-hold-drag the album (by its artwork) to the sidebar, and drop it on your iPod. The album's songs are loaded on the iPod. You can do this with one or more individual songs selected, instead of a complete album. Alternately, instead of dragging/dropping, right-click the selection and Add to Playlist -> [Name of iPod].

To check if the songs are loaded, in the sidebar, click the small triangle to the left of the iPod, to drop down the iPod's content list (indented below iPod). Click Music on the iPod's content list. To the right, the iPod's current song list is shown. Confirm that the new songs are there. You can also use this song list to manually remove songs from the iPod; select a song you want to remove and press Delete on the keyboard. You can do this with more than one song selected.

Ipod says "scan drive now to fix it" when connected to Itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.