Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp vs rEFIt & rEFInd, mbr, gpt

I've been trying to install Windows 8.1 on Yosemite via Boot Camp Assistant, but got an error:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has a mbr partition table, On EFI system window can only be installed to GPT disks.

After fighting with rEFIt and rEFInd to overcome the issue (which I then deleted by deleting its folders and its StartupItems file), I came across the instructions how to change the partition tables to GTP via gdisk. So I did that and voila - Windows let me to choose that partition for the installation. My joy lasted as long as the last step of Win setup process when I received an error saying the windows can't modify the boot information. It's now throwing me below error:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired.

The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information:

File: \BCD

Error code: 0xc0000034

I've tried few command prompt solutions suggested by Microsoft, which didn't work, like

BCDboot x:\windows /s c: /l en-us

Bootrec /fixmbr

Bootrec /fixboot

Bootrec /scanos

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

The last two commands gave an error "Windows installations found: 0".

I'm lost at that point. There is cleary an issue with remainings of rEFIt / rEFInd, as my computer doesn't boot correctly - it throws an error "No bootable devices found". However, if I press an option key during chime it allows me to pick my OS X SSD, which is now called EFI Boot instead of it's name (EVO SSD).

How can I bring the boot back to normal? Could that be an issue when trying to install Windows?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 2:31 PM

10 replies

Jan 6, 2015 9:07 AM in response to Loner T

Yes, I did use EFI boot. Also, what I meant earlier on is that I have created a fresh protective MBR on that disk using gdisk.

Here is the output:

[quote]

Disk: /dev/disk0 geometry: 30401/255/63 [488397168 sectors]

Signature: 0xAA55

Starting Ending

#: id cyl hd sec - cyl hd sec [ start - size]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: EE 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 1 - 488397167] <Unknown ID>

2: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

3: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

4: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

[/quote]

Bootcamp vs rEFIt & rEFInd, mbr, gpt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.