Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hardware test...

I can't do (unless I'm really stupid) Apple Hardware Test on my box. I hold down D at boot, no go. I hold down Option-D at boot, no go. I do the same with the install disc in, no go ... Am I missing something? Does Tech Tool Deluxe do the same thing? Is it better, or not?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 6:29 PM

67 replies

Sep 7, 2017 10:23 AM in response to Drew Reece

Hi,

I'm trying to run AHT on a Macbook (White, Mid-'09, 5,2) running OS X 10.11.6.

I'm doing exactly as you wrote, but I'm getting a script error:

--> Copying system...

cp: /Volumes/AHT C//.Trashes: unable to copy extended attributes to /Volumes/USBDISK/.Trashes: Permission denied

cp: /Volumes/AHT C//.Trashes: Permission denied

--> Bless system...

Once the system restarts, I inevitably get to the System Restore routine. The system doesn't recognize the USB stick as bootable.
I tried to turn off SIP, but it doesn't make any difference.

What else am I supposed to do?

Jan 16, 2015 8:52 AM in response to trebber

The Hardware Test is specific to a particular hardware configuration, while the retail Installer is not, so they can't include the hardware test on the retail installer, only on machine-specific ones.

Tech Tool probably checks a lot of the same things, but I wouldn't know how well.

Does the panic log have any hints as to what is triggering the kernel panics?

Jan 16, 2015 9:14 AM in response to trebber

There is a list of Apple Hardware Test versions at …

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

You will need to figure out the correct one via the commands listed there, then you can download the .dmg & burn that to a CD. If you burn it correctly it will be bootable (silly me - I can't recall if you burn the 'mounted disk image volume', or select the image itself to burn - try both in Disk Utility).

TTD does different things - AHT 'knows' what the hardware should be, so it can perform specific tests, TTD is generic.

I got burned with Tech Tool Pro & have been wary of it since - it deleted essential filesystem features via it's repair options, Disk Warrior fixed it making the Mac bootable again.

I'd suggest you make a new issue to detail the kernel panics - someone may be able to help you find logs & get a better idea of what causes them, diagnostics may not see all issues, but it is a good idea to run them.

Rember is another option for checking RAM…

http://www.kelleycomputing.net/rember/

Start from cold if you can, some issues can be temperature dependant, re-run to get the Mac up to operating temp.

Jan 16, 2015 5:41 PM in response to trebber

trebber wrote:

"Start from cold if you can, some issues can be temperature dependant, re-run to get the Mac up to operating temp."

So, I run it cold first, like right at boot-up? Then, after it's warmed up again?

My process is to let the Mac sit powered off until it's room temperature, (generally cold in the UK 🙂). Then boot it & run the tests, let then run for a good few hours to get it up to it's max temp - the room usually warms up too with older Macs.

It allows any thermal expansion/ contraction to happen whilst testing.

Jan 17, 2015 9:02 AM in response to Drew Reece

So I went to the link you mentioned above. The reference to the Apple page (in the article) only takes you to the main Apple support page, no AHT's listed there, but further down in the article is a list of links to the hardware tests. By running the terminal commands, I found I have a MacBook Pro 1,1 and the second command returned F425BEC8, but I don't see that in the list. I searched the web and found a 1,1 with a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo as model number MA601xx/A (xx is a placeholder for country code), but I don't see that on the list either. So I downloaded the first AHT (?) on the MBP 1,1 list (3A106) and in the resulting .dmg, there's a "read me" and a folder called System, but what do I do with it? Looking into that folder are two other folders (System>Library>Core Services) but Core Services is empty (? or hidden). I'm officially lost... Help?

Jan 17, 2015 9:12 AM in response to Drew Reece

Forgot to say: I haven't gotten to this part yet:

"...you can download the .dmg & burn that to a CD. If you burn it correctly it will be bootable (silly me - I can't recall if you burn the 'mounted disk image volume', or select the image itself to burn - try both in Disk Utility)."

And now for something completely different.

I do have the original Tiger discs that can with my computer back in 2006. Disc 1 says "AHT Version 3A107". Should I plug that in and hold down "D" or will I encounter problem since I upgraded to 10.6.8 ?

Jan 17, 2015 1:33 PM in response to trebber

In the disk image the /System/Library/Core Services/ has a .diagnostics folder. The leading dot makes it hidden, so Finder will not show it.

If you have a CD drive try burning it via Disk Utility, Select the Images Menu > Burn then select the downloaded .dmg.

Your Tiger install DVD should also work, but sometimes the downloads have slightly newer versions of AHT. Just be prepared to wait a while when booting from it, the startup process can be slow from CD/DVD's. Use alt to select the startup disk when using a custom made disk.

Good luck 🙂

Jan 18, 2015 9:17 AM in response to baltwo

baltwo wrote:

Your machine can't use CMD+D or D to run the AHT. You can only run it via the Tiger install disc.

27" i7 iMac (Mid 2011) refurb, OS X Yo (10.10.1), Mavs, ML & SL, G4 450 MP w/10.5 & 9.2.2

Here's the prob:

My internal SuperDrive is buggy at best, likes some discs, hates others, keeps regurgitating the Tiger install disc. I have an external optical drive, but it's USB, and Apple says Firewire only. When I put the Tiger disc in the ext. USB drive, hold down D, it just boots to my startup disk. If I boot to the install disc, then Restart selecting the install disc and hold down D, it just starts the installer again, doesn't run the AHT. Unless I'm missing something...

Haven't tried burning the .dmg off the net, that'll be next. Maybe my buggy-a** StupidDrive will swallow it.

Hardware test...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.