Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Apple Support Communities site is malfunctioning

I typed out a very long post about problems with a disk image. After clicking post, I got an error message saying that I do not have access to post this content. All the text I had entered was lost!

I was the one who posted the "emergency broadcast system" thing. About two minutes after posting, I got an email from Apple saying that you removed it. :-P I was just trying to see if the site would accept my post before I retyped my it. It's probably wise to type it into Pages first so I don't lose everything again. <sigh> Please try to resolve this ASAP.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 5:14 PM

17 replies

Jan 5, 2015 5:34 PM in response to 5fireflies

you have basically answered your own issue - when creating a NEW Question - and in anticipation of it being long - do it external and paste it

The reason why you were stymied the first time is a known (by many here, but not by new folks) glitch - your session was Timed Out because of perceived inactivity. Oddly, a long REPLY session PREVENTS being logged out! So, external editor is NOT necessary for replies.

When you say "I got an email from Apple saying that you removed it" - you must understand that we are NOT Apple - just users helping users. Without seeing the post that was removed, I can't say what about violated the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use. ⬅ accessible at the bottom of all forum pages - sometimes our gracious Hosts are strict and others lax.

see you around

ÇÇÇ

Jan 5, 2015 5:55 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

The only problem I see with this method is that the EDIT timer is 15 minutes where the normal timer is 30 minutes - It would be a good test project for someone to the see if the SiteWare perceives editing an Original Post as the same as Replying to it.

Since you mentioned the method - its your turn - I already tested 😎

CookieTESTing - from Cannot post - User ' ' is banned from posting. | Apple Support Communities

Jan 5, 2015 6:08 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

As I type this reply, I can rest assured that if I want to spend four hours crafting my words, I will be permitted to post! BUT if it's an original post that I'm composing, I have a fixed [unknown] length of time.

I propose the following:

Either (a) warn the users that they only have __ minutes to compose an original post, or (b) change the SiteWare so that an equal amount of time is granted as when composing a reply.

I certainly CAN compose original posts in Pages, but is that really the best solution? Workarounds like that should only be used when an issue is impossible to fix.

Jan 5, 2015 6:32 PM in response to 5fireflies

This site does have problems including a red error say you can't post the reply and it gets posted anyway.

Other connections may also cause the apple id to sign off -- for instance I noticed if I opened Itunes - quitting caused apple to get confused so this site logged in when it was really logged out - at which time you have to clear web data to get it aligned.

Jan 5, 2015 6:53 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

I don't usually run ITUNES - was on this site - signed in - opened it to check something and then couldn't post the answer - couldn't logout etc. had to clear the web data and cookies.

Apple has slightly improved since then - because you can now look at their support articles and not get logged out when coming back to the community page.

I think its a culture problem at Apple - - lately seems the paint job and the styling takes precedence over the operating system and software.

Jan 6, 2015 2:47 PM in response to deggie

Apple personnel either wrote the changes for this page - or they supervised outsourced group in making this site.

Doesn't matter what its run on - it was not an improvement on the last setup.

I have read that Steve Jobs did not like it when people disagreed with him - so was hoping under Tim Cook Apple would change to people instead of telling the boss what he wants to hear they would tell him what he needs to know.

The Apple Support Communities site is malfunctioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.