Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i get itunes to recognize or sync to my ipod classic

How do I sync my ipod classic to itunes so I can download purchased music?

iPod classic, Windows Vista

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 7:41 PM

1 reply

Jan 7, 2015 7:09 AM in response to mane_tamer

Hi mane_tamer,

Thanks for your question. Do you have the latest version of iTunes on your PC? If not, here's how to update it:

Update to the latest version of iTunes - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201352

Windows

1. Open iTunes
  2. From the menu bar, choose Help > Check for Updates. In earlier versions of iTunes, you can find this option in the Advanced menu. Learn how to show the menu bar.
  3. Follow the prompts to install the latest version.

If you don't have iTunes installed on your computer, download it here.

Get more information about how to install and update iTunes and troubleshooting assistance.

If you are not prompted to install a new version of iTunes, you already have the latest version your operating system can support. See the System Requirements on the iTunes download page.

To learn how to sync your iPod Classic to iTunes for Windows, click on the iPod Classic User Manual below. I've highlighted the key information about syncing for you (Pages 23-25.)

iPod Classic User Manual
manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA630/en_US/iPod_classic_120GB_en.pdf

Managing iPod classic Manually

Setting iTunes to let you manage iPod classic manually gives you the most flexibility for managing music and video on iPod classic. You can add and remove individual songs (including music videos) and videos (movies and TV shows). Also, you can add music and videos from multiple computers to iPod classic without erasing items already on iPod classic.

Note: Setting iPod classic to manually manage music and video turns off the automatic sync options in the Music, Movies, and TV Shows panes. You cannot manually manage one and automatically sync another at the same time.

To set iTunes to let you manage music and video on iPod classic manually:

1. 1 In iTunes, select iPod classic in the source list and click the Summary tab.

2. 2 In the Options section, select “Manually manage music and video.”

3. 3 Click Apply.

Note: When you manage songs and video yourself, you must always eject iPod classic from iTunes before you disconnect it.

To add a song, video, or other item to iPod classic:

1. 1 Click Music or another Library item in the iTunes source list.

2. 2 Drag a song or other item to the iPod classic icon in the source list.

To remove a song, video, or other item from iPod classic:

1. 1 In iTunes, select iPod classic in the source list.

2. 2 Select a song or other item on iPod classic and press the Delete or Backspace key on

your keyboard.

If you manually remove a song or other item from iPod classic, it isn’t deleted from your iTunes library.

To make a new playlist on iPod classic:

1. 1 In iTunes, select iPod classic in the source list, and then click the Add (+) button or

choose File > New Playlist.

2. 2 Type a name for the playlist.

3. 3 Click an item, such as Music, in the Library list, and then drag songs or other items to the playlist.

To add songs to or remove songs from a playlist on iPod classic:

m Drag a song to a playlist on iPod classic to add the song. Select a song in a playlist and press the Delete key on your keyboard to delete the song.

If you set iTunes to manage music manually, you can reset it later to sync automatically.

To reset iTunes to sync all music automatically on iPod classic:

In iTunes, select iPod classic in the source list and click the Music tab. Select “Sync music” and then choose “All songs and playlists.”
Click Apply.
The update begins automatically.

Note: If “Only sync checked items” is selected in the Summary pane, iTunes syncs only items that are checked in your Music and other libraries.

Enjoy!

- Judy

how do i get itunes to recognize or sync to my ipod classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.