Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move a file when startup disk is full?

My macbook start up disk is full, apparently. I've tried deleting things and nothing has worked. I need to safely get a video file, in mp4 from Iphoto onto a usb drive. Iphoto will not let me put the file on desktop or move anywhere. What do I do? Help! Please someone.

I have mac OS X 10.6 with 2gb memory.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 6, 2015 3:47 AM

1 reply

Jan 7, 2015 8:11 AM in response to sunny_93

Howdy sunny_93,

One of the more common causes of a full disk on your Mac is failing to empty the Trash. This is needed to recover the space taken by items in the Trash. See this article -

Mac OS X 10.6: Removing files and folders from your computer

Another possibility would be to move music or photo files in applications such as iTunes or iPhoto to an external hard drive. See this article for iTunes -

iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder - Apple Support

iPhoto '11: Move your iPhoto library to a new location

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

How to move a file when startup disk is full?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.