Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 Bootcamp mouse & keyboard not working

I'm installing Windows 7 Professional via bootcamp on about twenty late-2012 Mac minis, all with OS Yosemite 10.10.1. Some of them work fine - I'd say about 75% of them so far are installing correctly, but the others will install Windows 7 and the bootcamp drivers, update to the latest version of Windows, restart and... no more working mouse/keyboard, regardless of how many times it's restarted or unplugged/plugged back into the USB port.

Both the mouse and keyboard will work in Safe Mode, and OS X has no problem with either the keyboard or mouse after it asks 'which key is next to the shift key'. I'm completely at a loss, since over half the computers I install Windows 7 on work just fine, while certain computers refuse to recognize the mouse/keyboard. (I've actually installed and reinstalled Windows multiple times on the trouble machines with no success.)

They're all using the same equipment, and all booting from the same USB drive when installing Windows. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd really be grateful. It's got me pulling out my hair, here.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 6, 2015 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2015 7:39 AM

1. On the machines that the keyboard/mouse do not work, how do you access Windows?

2. The 2012 Minis should have USB3 ports. You may also want to check if the Intel XHCI drivers are properly installed or not.

2. Can you check Device Manager and look for drivers or any unknown devices? Also check if the Apple BC drivers were replaced by Windows Update with some generic drivers.

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2015 7:39 AM in response to appletoof

1. On the machines that the keyboard/mouse do not work, how do you access Windows?

2. The 2012 Minis should have USB3 ports. You may also want to check if the Intel XHCI drivers are properly installed or not.

2. Can you check Device Manager and look for drivers or any unknown devices? Also check if the Apple BC drivers were replaced by Windows Update with some generic drivers.

User uploaded file

Mar 8, 2015 2:26 PM in response to Loner T

Hi all,

I have been playing with this problem for a few hours now and I found a workaround that seems to do it for me,

As with a lot of things Apple, it may not work for all, but it might be what your looking for,

Saying that if it all goes downhill then its a chance you take,

OK off we go I used Bootcamp 5.1 on a 21.5 iMac late 2012, installing windows 7 Ultimate from an ISO

I went through the usual to create the drive on the iMac and partition for windows (We should all have got that far by now)

Installed Windows and got the Bootcamp drivers ready for after the initial install,

Firstly the mouse and keyboard did work, and then after a restart the Bootcamp was run to provide all the correct drivers in windows,

I noticed then that the drivers had not installed as should,

Go to the external drive where you placed your Bootcamp info and browse the folder named "BootCamp",

There navigate again to the folder "Drivers"

Inside you will find a file application extension for "AppleKeyboardInstaller64" (if 64 is your structure) alternatively 32, I haven't tested that,

Drag this to your desktop,

Right click first and run as admintrator.

Wait for the install to complete, you may get a windows error message saying "did this driver install correctly"

You can ignore this and just click continue,

If then it does not work, I found that going around again this time click, "install with recommended settings" option this can work (as with later install)

Go to device manager in windows and look under "Human Interface Devices" there should now be the Apple Keyboard, if your using the extended keyboard then it may display twice, don't ask me why, maybe because of the keys and number pad!!, it just does for me on mine, but not on the smaller keyboard I BootCamped later in the day for my Bro,

As a further note, if at first you don't succeed, uninstall the driver and go again from the top,

Hope this helps, let me know if i missed a step and you found it,

Good Luck All :-)

Windows 7 Bootcamp mouse & keyboard not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.