Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Leopard on an ext. disk

Running Snow Leopard from an ext. disk. Internal disk died. Will buy new machine. Can I just shift the ext. disk over and run? Can I copy that partition into the new machine? Are there problems doing this into a flash drive?

Posted on Jan 6, 2015 5:50 AM

10 replies

Jan 6, 2015 7:41 AM in response to Dan Starr

If you buy a new computer, you can't copy Snow Leopard to it. You can't install an OS older than what the computer came with. You will need to run a virtual machine if you want Snow Leopard to be available.

Install OSX Restrictions

Parallels

VirtualBox

VM Fusion

Snow Leopard server for use with the above. Call 1-800-692-7753 and order part number MC588Z/A. Cost is $19.99 + sales tax and shipping.

Jan 6, 2015 9:00 AM in response to christopher rigby1

christopher rigby1 wrote:

Unfortunately that won't work Eric. I wanted to do the same thing but I left it too late. Apple stopped making the Snow Leopard Server available when they released Yosemite.

You can still get SLS from eBay, but be prepared to pay much more than $19.99.

Wow. They appear to be desperate to keep people from using the last really good OS they produced. I'm so glad I got SL Server a while back.

Jan 6, 2015 9:16 AM in response to kahjot

I know - I can still run SL on my 2011 iMac, and I also have the SL install disk. But when/if my machine fails, I really have to find a copy of the Server. Meanwhile I can run Yosemite on an external HD, though it's rather meh.

I think it's BECAUSE so many are still running Snow Leopard - a 5+ year-old OS - that Apple are desperate to get people to move on. Still, it could be worse - quite a number of people are still running Windows XP and that's ... 15 years old? LOL

Jan 6, 2015 10:47 AM in response to christopher rigby1

Unfortunately that won't work Eric. I wanted to do the same thing but I left it too late. Apple stopped making the Snow Leopard Server available when they released Yosemite.

Have you tried calling Apple; Snow Leopard Server is ONLY available by telephone1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) - Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A and others have reported purchasing and receiving it since the release of Yosemite.

If you run into a problem, trying hanging up and calling again; some reps are confused about SLS.

Jan 6, 2015 11:25 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

MlchaelLAX wrote:

Have you tried calling Apple; Snow Leopard Server is ONLY available by telephone1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) - Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A and others have reported purchasing and receiving it since the release of Yosemite.

If you run into a problem, trying hanging up and calling again; some reps are confused about SLS.

I'm in Britain. I did hear about the 'only by phone' thing, so that's what I did. The rep I spoke to went away and spoke to his supervisor then came back and said it was no longer available. However, I can find no definitive reporting of this online, so both Rep + Supervisor may be wrong? Perhaps I should try again then. It's definitely worth it.

Jan 7, 2015 6:54 AM in response to Dan Starr

OK. Returning to my original issue. Translation of all responses is .... You can migrate SL to a new Mac maybe, ... with difficulty.

The second issue: why not plug my ext. drive into a new machine? My internal disk died, RIP, and Apple wouldn't service my albeit 64-bit iMac. Just ask a "genius." External disks suggest immortality, new bodies from time to time to keep the "spirit" alive. Must be too good to be true. I fear they will take me away to the funny little farm for that.

Snow Leopard on an ext. disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.