Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating from an old iMac (2009) to a new iMac (2015) using the Migration Assistant application

Dear,

I am migrating from an old iMac (2009) to a new iMac (2015). The original iMac has been backup using Time Machine using an external drive. The last backup is up-to-date. The external drive used for previous Time Machine is now connected to the new iMac. I wish to use the Migration assistant to restore some important files and applications to my new iMac.

Unfortunately when I start the application "Migration Assistant", it doesn't see my original Time Machine backup (although it sees the external disk used for Time Machine and its content using Finder). Migration Assistant waits for hours with no comments.

One old iMac is running 10.8.something, while the new iMac is running Yosemite 10.10

Thank you in advance for any advises

yves

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jan 6, 2015 7:12 AM

7 replies

Jan 6, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you for the Tips.

However my main concern is that I can't update my old iMac with the last software release.

For some sad reasons, I can't connect to Apple Store (invalid access). I spent hours and hours with the support but w/o any success ,hence decided to stay with 10.8. with my old iMac until I get a new one.

The TIP note says:

Use Software Update on both the source and destination computers to confirm that the latest updates are installed.

If my old iMac is not running the same version as the destination new iMac, is that a showstopper ? is that the reason why the Time Machine drive is not seen ?

Thank you, yves

Jan 7, 2015 12:48 PM in response to Eric Root

Dear,

I'm in the process to migrate from iMac to iMac with a direct network cable.

As said above my old iMac is running 10.8.5 with tons of apps and obviously my new Mac is running 10.10.1.

Both Mac's are up-to-date respectively and according to their OS X version.

I started the Migration Assistant, and noticed that I don't have a huge granularity selecting specific applications or sub-directories.

Thus I stopped before making any stupid mistakes. I don't have any concerned with my personal files, but all the applications that may overlap with new version.

However I need to migrate several applications that exist on the old iMac, but not in the new one. But I can't make a selective choice per application.

Prior to run the full migration, my question is, if I select also the "Application" folder to import, what will happens with the applications that already exists in the new iMac which are more up-to-date ? Will there be erased by the old versions from the import, or the process will be smart enough to avoid such situation?

What are the risks to disrupt my new iMac ?

Will you recommend to unselect the folder application (but keep selected my personal documents and media) and re-install all applications manually afterward in the new iMac (unfortunately I don't have all install kit anymore), or I can trust the process and import my all folders including the application one ?

Thank you in advance, yves

Jan 7, 2015 1:00 PM in response to yvesfrom06

I think I found the answer from one of the pointer you gave me previously.

.... snip...

Migrating Applications

This option will transfer applications only from the top-level Applications folder; not an Applications folder(s) in user home folder(s), or elsewhere. It will also transfer various support files in the top-level Library folder.

You must transfer either all apps or none; you can't select or omit them individually (see Transferring Applications for an explanation).

But Migration Assistant will only transfer apps that don't already exist in the top-level Applications folder on the destination Mac; thus the new Apple apps that came with your new Mac will not be replaced by old ones (and the size shown may be very small). But if the names are different, or they're in different places on the destination (such as sub-folders within Applications or elsewhere), you'll end up with both.

🙂

I'm going to give a try

yves

Jan 7, 2015 11:45 PM in response to yvesfrom06

Chaps,

Wanted to let a feedback here for the Migration Assistant tool.

This is an amazing tool !!! It worked like a charm.

All my previous environment has been imported into a new user.

After 6 hours of import, my hundred of apps have been successfully installed in the new iMac. The only slight issue I faced was Avast antivirus, that I had to reinstall.

Can you imagine how surprising it is to find the same familiar environment in the new platform ?

I was so afraid after so many bad experiences with other OS (you see what I mean) followed by days and days of troubleshooting...

just amazing 🙂

Thank you Sir Apple !

Migrating from an old iMac (2009) to a new iMac (2015) using the Migration Assistant application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.