Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EXS24 instrument “Rock Kit.exs” not found.

I am a middle school teacher and we just upgraded our Macs for our music students. We are trying to teach GarageBand and are running into a problem with all of the MIDI drum kit loops. Whenever you try to add a drum loop, you get this error message:

It's not just the Rock Kit, the Pop Kit, Hip Hop Kit, etc. are all missing.

Can someone please help out here?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jan 6, 2015 9:23 AM

9 replies

Jan 6, 2015 10:11 AM in response to Kedryn Alan

I am a middle school teacher and we just upgraded our Macs for our music students.

What did you upgrade? MacOS X? GarageBand? Which versions of MacOS X and GarageBand are now on the students's machines?

If you upgraded to GarageBand 10.0, the instruments from the older GarageBand '11 will now probably be missing, if you uninstalled GarageBand '11. Then restore all missing files from an older backup.

The missing Rock Kit should be installed in the system library, directly at the top level of the system HD, at

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments/Rock Kit.exs

Check, if you can restore any missing files in the Instrument library from the backup.

Jan 7, 2015 10:54 AM in response to léonie

Hi, I have a similar problem, I upgraded to GB 10.0.3, I'm opening a song created in a previous version of Garageband. It complains that it can't find "Nature Sounds" and "Jazz Kit" EKS files, but the files are present in /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments/

I did the full download of new sounds as well.

How do I get GB 10.0.3 to see these older files?

Jan 7, 2015 11:16 AM in response to whafrog

I just figured out an imperfect solution. You have to quit Garageband and copy the EKS files and subfolders from:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments/

to

/User/<you>/Music/Audio Music Apps/Sampler Instruments/

Then restart Garageband and open the older project. It will attempt to import the missing data to the project. Most of it copied into the project fine. I had a few missing files, but was able to replace the offending track with a similar sounding instrument from the library.

The irritating thing is that these old sounds (e.g. Nature Sounds, Applause and Laughter, etc) don't seem to be available in 10.0.3 at all and there is no way to add them to the library that I can see. If anybody has a solution to that it would be great.

Jan 7, 2015 11:52 AM in response to whafrog

The old sounds should be available in the "Legacy" section of the Library Inspector, if the instruments are installed in

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Track Settings/Software/Sound Effects/

The problem is, however, that GarageBand will not save the sound effects instrument, if you add samples to the keys.You will have to edit the samples over and over again, if you need to quit and reopen the project.

User uploaded file

Jan 10, 2015 10:45 AM in response to léonie

So here's the latest breakdown:

We got brand new Macs. Apple has severely cut down on the number of loops available in the newest versions of GB. So we wanted to add the old loops into the new version. We did a drag and drop of the loops into GB, but evidently this didn't work well. Ultimately I figured out that I had to copy the Samples folder over into the new Mac's System folder. This, to an extent, did the trick. All of the files are able to be used with no error messages.

However, there is one small hangup that I can't figure out. A number of loops are now listed as Crystal Pad as the track title instead of the correct instrument. Any ideas as to why this is and how to fix it?

Jan 10, 2015 1:57 PM in response to léonie

Thanks, I do have these files in /Library/etc... but they are not showing up in Garageband's library UI. Below the search bar I don't have a "Legacy > Garageband" option, I only have the new stuff, e.g.: Drum Kit, not Drum Kits. How do I import these or make them visible?

Edit: I should clarify, there is no Legacy sound menu option in the root sound list either.

Mar 12, 2015 11:09 AM in response to Kedryn Alan

I, too lost Rock Kit in Garageband 10.0.2. I looked at an older Mac, which still runs Garageband '11. Searching for "Rock Kit" files I found a ".exs", a ".pst", and a ".cst" in addition to the folder of AIFF files. When all of the files are moved to the other Mac, I have Rock Kit in Garageband 10.0.2.

cst in:

Library / App Support / Garageband / Instrument Library / Track Settings / Software / Drum Kits /

pst in:

Library / App Support / Garageband / Instrument Library / Plug-in Settings / Drum Kits

exs in:

Library / App Support / Garageband / Instrument Library / Sampler / Sampler Instruments

Folder in:

Library / App Support / Garageband / Instrument Library / Sampler / Sampler Files

Mar 12, 2015 6:27 PM in response to Bryan Mumford

But, when Garageband uses the Rock Kit voice, it converts it to a real audio track (blue) that can't be edited. I think the new Garageband is no longer able to use voices that were programmed like MIDI (green) but addressed a set of AIFF files.

Anyway, the method posted above is a dead end for editing, though it may let you play the song again.

Also, the Garageband file went from 2 MB to 85 MB.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.