Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage and FaceTime show wrong number after SIM change

Hi.

Im writing because I need some help with my iPhone.

I have a Factory Unlocked iPhone 5 with iOS 8.0.2 that I regulary use with my local carrier. Last week I was on vacation outside my country and I used a local SIM with a local number (it worked fine). Yesterday I returned home and switched back to my regular SIM card and it seems there is a mess with the Phone number, iMessage and FaceTime.

Let me explain: When I inserted the SIM the phone recognized the phone number without the Country Code (Insted of showing: +Country Code & Phone number its showing + Phone Number). I setup the correct phone number at Settings -> Phone -> My Number (+Country Code & Phone Number). The phone works fine but iMessage and FaceTime are not working because the number is not correct.

I tried to change the number but its greyout (no option to select it). I also reseted the network settings and tried to take out and put in again the SIM but nothing seems to work.

I dont know how to fix this issue. I will appreciate any help.

Please let me know if you need any additional info.

Thank you.

iPhone 5, iOS 8, 8.0.2

Posted on Jan 6, 2015 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2015 8:23 AM

Turn off iMessage and FaceTime. Power the phone off, and back on again. Go into Settings and turn iMessage and FaceTime back on to see if they activate.

18 replies

Feb 19, 2015 1:14 PM in response to DZanvettor

No, I was not talking about VPN profiles. I was referring to the fact that some of the non-approved carriers will install profiles on the phone since they do not have carrier files on the devices. This is how they are able to get changes to be made to APN settings. If the carrier you used is a supported carrier, then the use of their SIM could have installed their carrier file on your device and now the SIM you generally use is not updating your regular carrier's file. Generally, if you have reset Network settings, or Reset All Settings on the device it will correct itself. If not, you may have to go to Settings>General>About> and if there is a carrier update, that usually will get your network to display the prompt to update it on your phone.

If you have not Reset All Settings, that is in the same place on the General Menu where you reset Network Settings.

Feb 19, 2015 1:20 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thats the same response I got from apple support and nothing

I alredy reseted the network settings, resetted the iphone to factory settings using iTunes, restore from a previus backup when imessage was working (it shows the correct number but it does not register, I alredy check the about info to look for a carrier update and nothing!.

I also change the SIM card for a new one and the issue is still there!.

Im pretty sure it an issue on the carrier side, because last week I restored my work iPhone 4S and now I have the same issue on both iPhones (they are not sync with the same computer)

Again thank you for the ideas.

Apr 30, 2015 7:57 PM in response to DZanvettor

Has anyone figured this out yet? I just came back from a business trip to China about two weeks ago, and I am having this same exact problem. And I tried everything, just like DZanvettor. It's such a frustrating problem. In fact, so frustrating that I am sort of relieved that I actually found a thread that is talking about the exact same issue I am having. I really hope someone solves this. Really annoying.

Jun 28, 2015 4:59 AM in response to DZanvettor

Do you have other devices that share your iMessage and FaceTime username? If so turn off iMessage and FaceTime on these devices too. When I returned from USA in 2010 I recall having issues similar to yours. I can't tell you what solved it but lots of network setting resets and toggling iMessage and FaceTime eventually got there.

You can try to deregister too https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Aug 13, 2015 2:44 AM in response to DZanvettor

Hi, I had this problem since having changed mobile operator in the UK and I had my old number transferred over. Even after my number had been transferred over, when I sent iMessages and did FaceTime calls the number belonging to the new operator SIM would show (the new operator number was also visible under the Send & Receive addresses and my old number was nowhere to be seen). The solution for me was to do exactly as stated above; I switched off iMessages and FaceTime, then turned the phone off and back on, then switched iMessage and FaceTime back on and voila! My old number is now showing as the main number.

iMessage and FaceTime show wrong number after SIM change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.