Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina Screen Crack

I recently replaced my 15 inch 2010 macbook pro with a new 15inch retina screen macbook pro and the screen has cracked. It has a hard shell cover (by Topideal) AND was inside a Belikin felt and leather soft sleeve. I put it inside my rucksack on my way back from the library, I did not drop it, nothing banged against it and there was nothing inside the bag but books. I treat this thing like a newborn baby and now it has a cracked screen and I don't know why. Has this happened anyone else? Will my warrenty cover it? I genuinely feel like I could cry right now.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.1.2, null

Posted on Jan 6, 2015 12:33 PM

5 replies

Jan 6, 2015 12:40 PM in response to PipNFresh

Try taking it in to the nearest Apple store and show them how well you've treated it (you have an external case along with the belkin felt/leather sleeve and you had in in your rucksack) and yet the screen still cracked. Maybe it was a defective piece of glass on the screen or some other manufacturing defect. Perhaps Apple keeps a database and knows if other retina macbooks in the same manufacturing lot have an inordinate number of cracked screens. also some apple resellers offer screen breakage coverage for an extra fee (not sure if apple does) - did you purchase it when you got it? Bestbuy does this but not sure who else does. Too late now if you didn't probably, but never hurts to ask.

Good luck

Jan 6, 2015 3:18 PM in response to PipNFresh

Bummer -- Interesting piece of modern art?

Take the top of the hard plastic case off and see if there are some dents or dimples or somthing that looks out of place on the top metal side (it should be a rather smooth surface with no sudden or gradual dips or bends - looks to me like it might have been damaged from the top side and not the glass side. Could it have been "flexed" in some way?

Try displaying a full screen of blue and then red and the green and then black pixels so you can see which of the pixel planes is worse? GIMP or Photoshop or some other pixel app could easily do this.

Jan 6, 2015 3:41 PM in response to PipNFresh

Hey PipNFresh,

That's awful

So we're talking about the vertical lines on the left side of the display?

That looks like a separation of the cable that drives the vertical array. It's separated from the display itself.

Or,

It's possibly a GPU problem but I'd tend to go with the seperation.

So it seems like your rMBP is pretty new. Call Apple and at least get a case going.

BTW these large displays (Or any display for that matter.) don't like being flexed around. That can happen inadvertently when it's in a bag w/ a lot of books.

Apple doesn't need to know that however.

If the warranty is still in force they should replace your screen.

Retina Screen Crack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.