Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dealing with Shared Libraries after moving iTunes library to new Computer

I have recently purchased a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch) with 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5 processor and 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory. Previously, I had my iTunes on a Dell PC computer. Using an external hard drive, I transferred my iTunes library over to the Mac. After trying to sync my iPhone 4 (iOS 7.1.2), I discovered that I wasn't able to sync my music. In my attempt to fix this, I tried several things. I actually purchased iTunes Match, hoping that this would somehow fix this problem, but it didn't work. I tried restoring my iPhone to factory settings after completely a backup. Again, this did not work. I have tried to delete my library and add it back following the specific instructions found on the Apple Support site (How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support).

When my iPhone is plugged in and I click under iPhone settings Music, the only option I have to work with is iTunes Match is On and syncing voice memos. There is not the option to sync music library.

I feel that somehow I have created multiple libraries or messed smoothing up because I can't even transfer music on to my iPhone manually. It's like my iPhone won't recognize the library on my iTunes. I am using the 12.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jan 6, 2015 5:58 PM

3 replies

Jan 6, 2015 6:24 PM in response to Cozmic66

Cozmic66 wrote:

I have recently purchased a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch) with 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5 processor and 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory. Previously, I had my iTunes on a Dell PC computer. Using an external hard drive, I transferred my iTunes library over to the Mac.

1. Copy the entire /Music/iTunes/ folder from old computer to /Music/ on new computer.
  2. Then launch iTunes.

This is all you need to do.

You do not need to add anything or import anything to iTunes.

When you have iTunes Match turned on, you do not sync music via the computer or iTunes.

You sync via iTunes Match.

Jan 6, 2015 6:44 PM in response to Chris CA

I have copied the folder several times. I may have been overly excited, but I have already deleted iTunes off my old computer because I was selling it. It is saved on my external hard drive. My phone just won't show my library. If I go into my Music app>Click on the More tap>Click on Shared, there are two options; My iPhone and My Library. If I click on My Library it has my music, but it includes all the songs (checked and unchecked).

Is there a way to start completely over? Just delete iTunes altogether and reinstall it? Can I even do that with the OS X Yosemite software?

Apr 5, 2015 6:42 AM in response to Cozmic66

Cozmic66 wrote:

If I go into my Music app>Click on the More tap>Click on Shared, there are two options; My iPhone and My Library. If I click on My Library it has my music, but it includes all the songs (checked and unchecked).

Correct.

This is because you are viewing the shared library on you computer.

As I previously wrote,, if you have iTunes Match, you do not sync songs to the iPhone using iTunes.

Do you have Settings > Music > iTunes Match turned on?

Dealing with Shared Libraries after moving iTunes library to new Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.