Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G3 333 Screen Black

I got an iMac G3 from someone for free, and when I actually got it home, I plugged it in and the screen never turned on.

It's the Tray Loading Model, It's a Blueberry color.

Any help?

-Clarisworks

iMac

Posted on Jan 6, 2015 10:05 PM

7 replies

Jan 7, 2015 1:55 AM in response to ClarisWorks

Does the computer react at all (sounds, display, power button light)?

You may want to check the logic board battery (3.6 V) to begin with. A bad battery can sometimes cause unexpected behaviour.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA492/en_US/iMacG3_originalInstallGuide. PDF

Unfortunately, some of the early iMac computers had other issues (for example, with the flyback transformer) preventing proper startup/video. Often, the power button would show a green light when the problem occured. The computer could start up normally from time to time (when the power cable had been disconnected for a while). A warning: The analogue section contains high-voltage circuits. All work in this area can be very dangerous and must only be carried out by someone with the necessary expertise.

Jan

Jan 7, 2015 2:27 PM in response to ClarisWorks

Don't expect much practical work from this computer. It's a hobbyist project.

My first thought from your first post would be a video problem. I'm still leaning that way, but after reading the second post, there is hope it could be a bad filesystem or bad hd.

If it's something to do with the hd, this should work.

Open Firmware, boot into Open Firmware. { good for finger stretching. 😝 }

Power on your iMac while holding down command+option+o+f

The first output line contains the firmware level.

You need to find a cd that you can boot off of.

Restore cd might, might be available from Apple by calling 1(800) 275-2273. Have your serial number ready. Have your credit card ready too. There may be a small fee.

You could try Linux. Post back if you are interested in Linux hints.

Robert

iMac G3 333 Screen Black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.