Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Batch or Shortcut to preserve the original row or column of cell references in Numbers 3.5

Is there a faster way to preserve the original row or column especially for multiple references in Numbers 3.5?

Basically I have really long formulas that contain several (many) references to cells (mostly) on the same rows but varying columns - seems I need to preserve the original row of each of these references in order to choose a column by which to sort by without getting errors or re-arranging the rows and columns.

It used to work fine in Numbers 08 and 09 but now it's a giant mess and a really long process to go through each reference one by one.

Hopefully there is a faster way to accomplish this. Is there Batch preserve option or Key Combo (e.g. Command/Ctrl+Opt) + Selecting the references needing to be preserved to at least to several at a time instead one by one?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Derick

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Mac Pro 2010

Posted on Jan 6, 2015 9:55 PM

11 replies

Jan 6, 2015 10:44 PM in response to Derick Manning

Derick,

It seems that the programmers didn't account for upward compatibility when they changed the sort behavior in Numbers V3. I think we would all be better off if they hadn't touched it, but new users who were coming from the Excel world apparently complained enough to get it changed over the the Excel way. Or, maybe it was for compatibility with Excel in the iCloud version. In any case they didn't get it right for the loyal users of earlier versions of Numbers.

I'd be happy to take a look at your expressions and see what might be done to ease the pain. How about either posting an example, in context, for us to look at? If you wish, you may send me a sample file. Generally you only need to edit the first instance of an expression in a column and Copy/Paste to the rest of the rows.Let's see what you have and go from there.

Jerry

Feb 27, 2015 11:28 PM in response to Derick Manning

Hi Jerrold, Sorry for the super late reply!

If you're still willing to help me out on this - I could really use your help.

Here are some screenshots but I'll attach my file too.

Remember all of this worked fine in Numbers '09 (though probably not the cleanest or prettiest expressions)

The issue happens when I attempt to sort (by any column):

here it's all correct - with the expressions function all well and pointing to the correct references etc.

User uploaded file

NOTE Row 7 'Expense 5' for example. Everything is fine with the expression

User uploaded file

Expression points to correct reference cells etc.

User uploaded file

But after I sort (in this case sort ascending using column E which is the date) - The expression messes up and now points to different cell altogether

User uploaded file

I've tried preserving Row and Column for each reference and conversely have also tried to keeping the Row and Column unpreserved

(In Numbers 09 - it would work both ways)

I've also tried changing the date format to Year-Mo-Dy but it still gets messed up when I try to sort.

Again, I would really still appreciate any help or thoughts by you.

Thanks in advance or even for being willing to help before,

Derick

Feb 27, 2015 11:29 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Hi Jerrold, Sorry for the super late reply!

If you're still willing to help me out on this - I could really use your help.

Here are some screenshots but I'll attach my file too.

Remember all of this worked fine in Numbers '09 (though probably not the cleanest or prettiest expressions)

The issue happens when I attempt to sort (by any column):

here it's all correct - with the expressions function all well and pointing to the correct references etc.

User uploaded file

NOTE Row 7 'Expense 5' for example. Everything is fine with the expression

User uploaded file

Expression points to correct reference cells etc.

User uploaded file

But after I sort (in this case sort ascending using column E which is the date) - The expression messes up and now points to different cell altogether

User uploaded file

I've tried preserving Row and Column for each reference and conversely have also tried to keeping the Row and Column unpreserved

(In Numbers 09 - it would work both ways)

I've also tried changing the date format to Year-Mo-Dy but it still gets messed up when I try to sort.

Again, I would really still appreciate any help or thoughts by you.

Thanks in advance or even for being willing to help before,

Derick

Mar 1, 2015 6:37 PM in response to Derick Manning

Hello

I cannot open your Numbers v3 file because I'm using Numbers v2. The following is based upon your screenshots.

As far as I can tell, the cause of mess in references after sort in Numbers v3 would be your use of absolute row addressing in referencing cell in Activity, Month and Notes columns.

A remedy would be to change absolute row addressing to relative row addressing in the relevant columns, such as:

$Activity $X => $Activity X $Month $X => $Month X $Notes $X => $Notes X

By the way, it is not good idea to use header cell names as references especially when debugging tables because it makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to recognise addresses.

Also I wonder how you have input those formulae with absolute references even when the referent address is to be relative to the formula adddress. Absolute reference won't change in fill down/right/up/left operations. Perhaps you have input it one by one in each cell? If you have to input similar formula one by one in each cell, you'd almost always better reconsider formula and/or table structure so that you can fill it down/right/up/left across target range because it is the designed way how spreadsheet formulae are input across a large number of cells.

For instance, I'd guess the following absolute row addressings are also to be relative row addressings in order for the containing formula can be filled down/up (although these references seem to be in different table(s) and thus not affected by sort operation in current case).

$Pay Status $X => $Pay Status X $Day Due $X => $Day Due X

* I presumed all rows referenced by X above are rows corresponding (relative) to the row where the formula resides. If this presumption is correct, you may fill down/up the modified formula whose absolute rows are replaced with relative rows as explained above across column E, which should be sort-safe in Numbers v3 if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck,

H

Mar 1, 2015 6:57 PM in response to Hiroto

Oops. Of course I'm mistaken 😟

The last two references may not be relative row references because they are not in the same table (precisely, not in the range whose rows are moved by sort operation).

So the following modicication would be WRONG.

$Pay Status $X => $Pay Status X $Day Due $X => $Day Due X

You'd need to keep them using absolute row reference although by doing so you have to change these absolute row addresses after filling down/up the formula.

You might introduce record index column and lookup other tables using the index. This way you would be able to get rid of these absolute row references which prevents simple fill operations.

Regards,

H

Mar 2, 2015 11:26 AM in response to Hiroto

Hi Hiroto,

Thanks for your help. Not sure if you understood but all of my formulas work fine in Numbers v2 ('09) but since moving to Numbers v3 my formulas break whenever I try to sort. - It may be a bug - cause it seems to work for less than a second and then breaks. I initially thought it was due to issue you brought up in your first post here- the need to preserve/absolute references - but I've tried all of these combinations and everything still breaks whenever I sort.

But I'll give your advice a try to not reference Header cell names. For your last advice about using a record index column - If I'm understanding you right - then I'm already doing this (which is why my original file doesn't use much absolute row references.

Thanks for trying to help though.

WISH I KNEW THIS BEFORE - But if you clean install Yosemite you will NOT be able to use Numbers v2

Mar 2, 2015 12:07 PM in response to Derick Manning

I've reposted this question - under the better Title: Sorting Issues in Numbers v3

Also FYI: In case anyone is interested: A quicker way to edit a ton of Formulas in Numbers v3 is to use Pages, Word, or similar Text Editor etc and use the find and replace functions. Or you can use an app like Sublime Text or similar to the same find and replace functions but with more options and shortcuts

-d

Mar 3, 2015 3:04 AM in response to Derick Manning

Hello

Couple of comments.

1) Sort behaviours on reference in formula in Numbers v2 and Numbers v3 are completely different.

2) You can use Numbers v2 under OS X 10.10. Remember to upadte to Numbers 2.3.

iWork 9.3

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1563

3) As for record index column, I meant to say something like this.

User uploaded file

Table 1 (excerpt) A1 n A2 1 A3 2 A4 3 B1 x B2 10 B3 3 B4 6 C1 y C2 6 C3 3 C4 1 D1 x(n)+y(n) D2 =B2+C2 D3 =B3+C3 D4 =B4+C4 E1 x(n)+y(n)+z(n) E2 =B2+C2+Table 2::B2 E3 =B3+C3+Table 2::B3 E4 =B4+C4+Table 2::B4 F1 x(n)+y(n)+z(*n) F2 =B2+C2+INDEX(Table 2::B,MATCH(A2,Table 2::A,0),1) F3 =B3+C3+INDEX(Table 2::B,MATCH(A3,Table 2::A,0),1) F4 =B4+C4+INDEX(Table 2::B,MATCH(A4,Table 2::A,0),1)

Table 2 (excerpt) A1 n A2 1 A3 2 A4 3 B1 z B2 1 B3 8 B4 4

Notes.

Table 1::A and Table 2::A are record index columns.

In Numbers v2, you may sort by any column in Table 1 and Table 2 and yet E should equate to F.

In Numbers v3, if I'm not mistaken, when you sort by any column other than A, E should not equate to F. And results in F will be what you want and expect.

Formulae in E2 and F2 can be filled down.

Tables are built in Numbers v2.

Hope this may help you to understand the issue.

H

Mar 5, 2015 12:01 AM in response to Hiroto

Not sure what all is going on there - but it looks like I should learn it - even if just to help me learn how to better use Numbers expressions.

Thanks! I was able to finally open up Numbers 09 in Yosemite after you pointed me toward the update but then still had to go finding and copying all of the apps' dependencies in the system and user libraries to get it to launch. Still it made my day!

- so for now it's at least working again in Numbers 09 but is there a list of formula changes or changes in general that could help me make the necessary tweaks for future possible use in newer versions of Numbers?

Thanks again!

Batch or Shortcut to preserve the original row or column of cell references in Numbers 3.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.