Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

''Sim Not Valid'' on activation screen! *PLEASE HELP*

I have purchased the iPhone 6 64GB Silver from Verizon Wireless. I purchased it on November 18th 2014 and i was able to use the phone under the Verizon Network for 2 days I asked Verizon as ALWAYS to have to Unlocked because i was leaving the country in business trip for a week and therefor i wanted to use my iPhone with the Vodafone Network as i have always done this with the previous iPhone's under Verizon network. When i had my iPhone 5 & iPhone 5S i have called Verizon to have it unlocked and therefor they have done it, but now with the new iPhone 6 they tell me that its a 4G Phone and its already unlocked sir, there is nothing they can do to unlock it any further but in reality the iPhone 6 its Lock to Verizon Wireless Network, according to Apple, and Vodafone they both say that its Locked to Verizon Wireless, that's what it shows in their system. Now i have called Verizon and asked them again to unlock my iPhone which they insist and tell me the same thing over and over even their Manager and Global Team Support including the Supervisors they all say the same thing that the iPhone is Unlocked!!!! Now i have contacted Apple again this time Apple said that it is locked to Verizon is what they see on their computer that this IME#354409063763754 is showing Locked to Verizon once again and again and AGAIN! so who is lying here Apple or Verizon?!? Interesting! one of the Apple costumer care could not believe my story after speaking to 5 different one from Apple and 38 different from Verizon, and there for she decided to call Verizon and find out why aren't they unlocking my device. now, after being on the phone 3 way me Apple care and Verizon for 15min Verizon hangs up the phone on Apples face and tells me I can Not Believe they hang up on my face! interesting huh? Well Apple care then said ill transfer you to Seignior Adviser for further help there is nothing that she could do, but transfer me to much higher grade in helping the costumers. Now the Seignior Adviser couldn't believe that i had to go through all this and said I'm here to help and i will help, i said sure you will, will see how much you can. Then he tries and tries and in the end NOTHING! since he couldn't do anything he said let me transfer you to much higher which is their Consumer Relations. Now they couldn't believe that i had to go through all this and that they have never heard such story that this had happen to anyone before, there for he was going to help me resolve my issue. Now they have contacted Verizon and Verizon keeps saying the same thing mean while on the Apple system it still shows Locked to Verizon Wireless.

Now what they Verizon and Apple did to try and resolve this issue is Connecting my iPhone 6 to iTunes and have it Factory Restore! ok! so i did as i was told,

now after 30 min of restoring the iPhone to factory settings im back to Activation Screen from beginning.

1. Choose Language - English

2. Choose Region - United States

3. Choose Wi-Fi

4. Sim Not Valid!

there is no other options, either go back or retry, and none has worked. I have done the Restore 5 times with and with out sim card and still same error,

With out the sim card, after choose the Wi-Fi, it says Sim Required, there is no other options only go back and retry.

I put the sim back in and its still says the same

<Back

SIM NOT VALID

The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone s from a carrier that is not Supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information.

Try Again

Now i cant even go to my home screen what do i do? PLEASE HEP!

I really need to get this iPhone 6 to work, I need help please someone help, they both companies have lied to me Verizon and Apple, and they both not doing a **** thing about it, its been almost 2 months and i haven't been able to enjoy my iPhone, they have got my hard earned $$$$ and they don't send me a new device to have it replaced, I have requested a NEW one since i have paid for new and they Sorry we cant under their Policy and my 14 money back is expired, well its expired because of them not me. they keep on pushing and putting me to wait here and there so time went out and me still without a working device yet they have got my money $$$ 😢

I really need Help Please any suggestions?

I thank you all very much from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to read and respond to my need.

THANK YOU ALL

iPhone 6 64GB Silver

Setting - General - About:

Version> 8.1.2 (12B440)

Model> MG642LL/A

Serial Number> DN*********5MH

IMEI> ***********

MEID> 35440906376375

Modem Firmware> 1.04.00

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2, null

Posted on Jan 7, 2015 12:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2015 1:29 AM

If you purchase a phone from Verizon, then if you are in the US, then you can only ever use this phone in the US on Verizon and no other operator because Verizon is a CDMA carrier and in the US, then it is locked to Verizon and if in the US, then you need to have a contract with Verizon to be able to use the phone.

However, the Verizon phone does have a GSM sim card tray and this is unlocked and intended for international travel, so that you can use local sim cards in your phone whilst travelling and no incur international roaming charges.

The problem may be that if you are in the US and you are trying to insert a sim card into the phone to activate it that is a GSM sim card, then this will not work because in the US you will only be able to use the Verizon phone on the Verizon CDMA network and no other. If you put a sim card in, this will be local sim cards that are intended to be used whilst travelling.

Also, don't post personal information on this forum - it is a user to user technical support forum and you are NOT talking to Apple here.

183 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2015 1:29 AM in response to ASE84

If you purchase a phone from Verizon, then if you are in the US, then you can only ever use this phone in the US on Verizon and no other operator because Verizon is a CDMA carrier and in the US, then it is locked to Verizon and if in the US, then you need to have a contract with Verizon to be able to use the phone.

However, the Verizon phone does have a GSM sim card tray and this is unlocked and intended for international travel, so that you can use local sim cards in your phone whilst travelling and no incur international roaming charges.

The problem may be that if you are in the US and you are trying to insert a sim card into the phone to activate it that is a GSM sim card, then this will not work because in the US you will only be able to use the Verizon phone on the Verizon CDMA network and no other. If you put a sim card in, this will be local sim cards that are intended to be used whilst travelling.

Also, don't post personal information on this forum - it is a user to user technical support forum and you are NOT talking to Apple here.

Jan 9, 2015 1:16 AM in response to NKAL2004

Firstly, Apple will NOT reply to you here - this is a user to user technical support forum and not monitored by Apple.

Also, what both Apple and Verizon have told you are both true. Verizon tell you that the phone is unlocked and this is true, because all Verizon phones have a GSM portion to the phone and this is unlocked to use with local sim cards internationally, so yes, the GSM portion of the phone is unlocked in this respect.

What Apple have told you about the phone being locked to Verizon is also true - a Verizon phone is a CDMA phone and works on the CDMA networks, which is different from GSM and the phone is locked to Verizon in the US, so if you go to the US, then you can never use the phone on any other network other than Verizon, so yes, in this respect the phone is locked to Verizon in the US because if you go to the US you will only ever be able to use the phone with Verizon, but the GSM portion of the phone is unlocked, so if you live in Germany, then you can use both a Vodafone and 02 sim card with the phone or any other local sim card that you want and the phone will work.

So what you have been told about the phone by both Apple and Verizon are correct - the phone is locked to Verizon, but only for use in the US on the CDMA Verizon network. Other than that, the GSM portion of the phone is unlocked.

May 12, 2017 9:34 AM in response to ASE84

Same.I bought iPhone 6 on ebay (USA). I'm from Ukraine.

Activation fails.

Serial Number: DNWPQU83G5MD

Initial Activation Policy ID: 2320

MEID:

Activation Policy Description: US GSM/VZW N61/N56 Service

Policy IMEI: 359303065886587

Applied Activation Policy ID: 2320

Part Description: iPhone 6

Applied Activation Policy Description: US GSM/VZW N61/N56

Service Policy Product Version: 10.3.1

Next Tether Policy ID: 2320

Last Restore Date:

Next Tether Activation Policy Description: US GSM/VZW N61/N56

Service Policy Bluetooth MAC Address:

First Unbrick Date: 17/11/15

Last Unbrick Date:

Unbricked:

Unlocked: false

Aug 8, 2017 10:33 AM in response to ASE84

First of all Guys, i am pretty excited and happy to inform you that my device got unlocked internationally. Thanks a Lot to spire88 for providing the detailed information, i really appreciate that since some people without understanding the issue were just posting some generic unrelated solutions and making the people affected by this panic. So from my end clarifying to everyone who falls under this situation, no need to Panic since its a very quick resolution, it took me 1 hour to get this thing resolved below are the steps:

1. Reach out to Apple Support team through Chat

2. Inform the issue that the device activation policy is set to

3. Tell him to update the activation policy to since your device is fully paid and unlocked.

Information to keep handy:

a. Receipt of your original Device (in case swapped with a replacement device)

b. Serial numbers/IMEI's of both devices (in case swapped with a replacement device)

If you clarify the above step 1 & 2, to the representative then he will escalate the issue to Activation engineers and a ticket will be raised which has a resolution window of 24 hours. (Mine got resolved in 1 Hr).

4. Upon updating the activation policy, the device needs to be backed up and restored. (Links below)

5. The service policy will be updated and you device will be fully unlocked for use in Any country in this globe. 😀

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184

Thanks again Spire88 for the valuable information. Cheers Guys! Get this thing resolved.

Feb 12, 2017 7:10 AM in response to ASE84

I purchased a Verizon iPhone SE from Target in Houston. They linked a sim card to the phone for activation however I did not activate it and send it to Turkey for my sister because I wanted her to open the box herself. She ended up with not valid sim card error. Verizon`s global support team says the phone is unlocked in US and Internationally but Apple says the phone can only be activated in US then my sister can put a Turkey carrier sim card. I have been talking to Apple and Verizon they are keep blaming each other. I was told to pay off the device and own then Apple could help me out but they did not help and they are saying Verizon has to make it internationally unlock on their system so they can override that initial activation policy since I own the device. Apple can see that I paid off the device however they are saying Verizon has to submit it to them. Verizon says they see the device internationally unlocked on Apple`s servers. I really need help at this point. I do not want my sister send the phone back to US and then me activate it here and send it back to Turkey. Even a tier 2 senior from Apple told me do this. Come on it is 2017 and someone who has access to it can just solve this with some mouse clicks. I`m so frustrated. I will try to talk to a lawyer and see if I can sue both companies.

Feb 12, 2017 8:51 AM in response to ozmroz

Hello everyone,

I talked to an Apple care senior on the phone and I was able to convince her to send a request to Apple engineers so they can fix the problem on Apple activation servers. Now I am waiting a response from them whether they are going to fix it or not. I will let you know when my problem get solved.

-iPhone Se 16GB Gold

-Paid off and own the device

-Never activated brand new Verizon iPhone that needs to be activated in US with Verizon sim card than can be used overseas.

-Apple activation servers require the phone to be activated with a Verizon sim card in US

Jan 8, 2015 3:30 PM in response to ASE84

I too have the same problem with an iPhone 6 128GB Verizon Wireless carrier, now the problem is that I have two iPhone 6's being used in Germany both purchased from Verizon Wireless was told both phones are Factory Unlocked. Now the 128GB device is giving me a SIM Not Valid message. I was on the phone with Verizon Wireless and Apple for 4 days and wasted several hours of my time. Finally I spoke with a Senior Adviser that submitted a request to the Apple Engineers. From my understanding this an error with the Apple Server that validates your iPhone's IMEI and or a Synchronization issue between Verizon Wireless's database and Apple's servers. Verizon has told me that the iPhone is unlocked but then Apple says the phone is locked to Verizon. Again I am using two iPhone 6's in Germany with Vodafone and o2 carriers, one iPhone accepts the SIM card and the other one does not. The one giving the error message "SIM Not Valid" does not even accept the Verizon Wireless SIM card. I think Apple needs to pay close attention to this issue and get it resolved asap. They have sold millions of this device and made good money. So they need to stand behind their product and figure out this problem or they need to really hire people who are Tech Savvy. I am sorry but Speaking with High Level Tech Support Groups from both Verizon and Apple and I feel they have no knowledge of how this how iTunes Activation Server and Apple Activation works. The iPhone has been Factory Restore via iTunes DFU mode and still no luck. Waiting for Apple to respond back, hopefully some good news.

Jan 12, 2015 6:41 AM in response to Ethmoid

All Verizon 4G LTE phones, iPhones and other phones, are totally GSM SIM unlocked. You can find a statement to that effect on Verizon's own website.

You can use the Verizon iPhone 5, 5S, 6, 6+ on Verizon, ATT or TMobile in the US, and with whatever foreign carriers that the phone's GSM bands support.

The above statement that the Verizon iPhone is locked to Verizon in the US is not correct.

''Sim Not Valid'' on activation screen! *PLEASE HELP*

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.