Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there lag when I mirror my mac book pro with apple tv

I bought Apple TV in November 2014 and have been using it with my iphone 6 and my ipad without any problems. I bought a new macbook pro (my old one was a mid 2010 model so did not have airplay) yesterday and tried mirroring as I was with my iphone and ipad. Every time I tied I experienced a couple of seconds lag, this there anyway to fix this? I currently can't use my apple tv with my laptop as it just doesn't work!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 7, 2015 6:20 AM

4 replies

Jan 8, 2015 8:52 AM in response to jmcivor89

Hi jmcivor89,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you’re running into performance issues when using AirPlay Mirroring with your new MacBook Pro. Take a look at the article linked below, it provides a lot of great information and troubleshooting tips that may be able to help you resolve the issue.

Resolve issues with AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring from iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Resolve performance issues with AirPlay or AirPlay Mirroring

If you are experiencing intermittent playback or significant network lag with AirPlay or AirPlay Mirroring, it could be due to a weak Wi-Fi connection, interference, or the distance between the Wi-Fi router and your iOS device, Apple TV or AirPort Express.

Try these suggestions:

• Ensure that other devices are not trying to stream to the same Apple TV at the same time.
  • Ensure that your Wi-Fi router is set up with the recommended settings for the best performance.
  • Certain external devices, such as microwave ovens and baby monitors, may interfere with a Wi-Fi network. Try moving or disabling these devices.
  • If possible, try to locate your Wi-Fi router in the same room as your iOS device and Apple TV.
  • If your wireless and wired networks are the same, try connecting your Apple TV to the router via Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi.
  • If the Wi-Fi router has an external antenna, check to see that is it connected properly and in good condition.
  • Use the Wi-Fi network troubleshooting guide to resolve interference and other issues.

If you are using iTunes, please see these troubleshooting guidelines.

So long,

-Jason

Jul 3, 2015 5:28 AM in response to jmcivor89

Hi i just recently purchased MBP Retina (2015) running OSX Yosemite 10.10.4.

I am experiencing the same lag problems streaming to Apple TV connected to a Samsung 1080P TV.

I have never had an issue streaming of any other device, including iphone 5, 5S, 6 and ipad 2.

My girlfriend also just purchased a Macbook Air (2015) this is also OSX Yosemite 10.10.4 and has NO PROBLEMS streaming.

I have looked through countless forums, most suggest connectivity/wifi problems or put it down to a bug in OSX Yosemite.

I am confident the problem lies with the retina display and the downscaling to a TV, i have tried various options including "Match display to Apple TV" but nothing seems to work.

It is really frustrating......with most devices now coming out with retina displays you would think apple would have this under control by now.

Aug 14, 2015 11:49 AM in response to cdreaper

Hi,

I have a MavBook AIr late 2014, an ATV bought received at Xmas and I am experiencing the same problem!

When mirroring from my old Iphone 5, everything is OK.

I tried mi MacBook Air at a friend where his ATV works fine with his MacBook Pro... and same problem!

I thought the problem was a lack of performance of my MacBook Air (processor not strong enough)... but if you experience the same problem with your MacBook Pro, it is not the problem...

I tried Beamer on the MacBook Air and the streaming works fine.

A hint... setting the resolution at 720p seems to work better (on the lag side) but I have the feeling that the framerate is too slow...

--> It must be a problem in the airplay setting of my MacBook Air. Agree?

Should be grateful to read how to fix it ! :-)

Why is there lag when I mirror my mac book pro with apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.