Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't see new photos in DCIM folder

Using Windows 7, I can see my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.1.1) in My Computer. When I open \Internal Storage\DCIM I see 44 folders (with random names like 925MGCDD). However all of the folders are dated 11/25/2014 (that might be the date that I updated from an iPhone 4 to 6). These folders don't have any recent pictures. However, when I look at Photos | Camera Roll on my phone, I see hundreds of photos I've taken since then (including a few dozen I took today).

Any ideas why I can't see the new photos in the DCIM folder?

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 7, 2015 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2015 8:22 AM

The randomly hashed folder names are annoying. I have discovered that each folder contains 1 month's photos & videos, i.e., I have a gibberish folder name that contains all of 2013-06, another contains 2013-07, etc. If you view the contents of each folder showing the date info (details view), you will find this.

I copied my entire DCIM folder to my PC so I could sort them and make sense of it all.

This has me wondering why Apple doesn't just name each folder with the year-month (yyyy-mm) so we can actually find and organize our content.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2015 8:22 AM in response to SteveWasHere

The randomly hashed folder names are annoying. I have discovered that each folder contains 1 month's photos & videos, i.e., I have a gibberish folder name that contains all of 2013-06, another contains 2013-07, etc. If you view the contents of each folder showing the date info (details view), you will find this.

I copied my entire DCIM folder to my PC so I could sort them and make sense of it all.

This has me wondering why Apple doesn't just name each folder with the year-month (yyyy-mm) so we can actually find and organize our content.

Mar 17, 2015 8:52 PM in response to dsmart5

Did anyone find the answer to this question? I have spent hours looking for an answer and this is the only post that I have found? I am a long time iPhone user and this is incredibly frustrating.

I only see photos in Windows Explorer that were created in 2014.I don't see any photos from 2015, which is what I'm trying to Back up.

I was able to copy pictures in December and back them up my laptop and now I can't find my new photos to back them up. this is a new issue any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

I can't see new photos in DCIM folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.