Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove bookmarks in landscape view in iOS Safari?

When I rotate my iPhone 6+ to get landscape view of a Safari page in iOS (8.1.2), the left 40% of the screen is filled with a list of bookmarks (or other things) that I don't want, instead of providing a wider view of the page. I can't find any preference to get rid of this: is there a way?

Posted on Jan 7, 2015 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2017 7:41 PM

1. Click the browser screen (on my iphone it's on the right side) to reveal the URL above
  2. To the left of the URL is an open book image shrouded in blue (reverse white with blue background)
  3. Click the open book image and presto! the Bookmarks panel should disappear.

The open book should now be simple outlined in blue still to the left of the URL. To get the Bookmarks panel back, click the open book again.

Note: There is an open book box in the Bookmarks pane. That is not the right one and will only bring up the list of booksmarks and make you frustrated. Be sure you're clicking the one to the left of the URL. If you don't see the URL go back to step #1.

I'm using 6s but assume the process is similar with other iPhone versions.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2017 7:41 PM in response to YaLinguist

1. Click the browser screen (on my iphone it's on the right side) to reveal the URL above
  2. To the left of the URL is an open book image shrouded in blue (reverse white with blue background)
  3. Click the open book image and presto! the Bookmarks panel should disappear.

The open book should now be simple outlined in blue still to the left of the URL. To get the Bookmarks panel back, click the open book again.

Note: There is an open book box in the Bookmarks pane. That is not the right one and will only bring up the list of booksmarks and make you frustrated. Be sure you're clicking the one to the left of the URL. If you don't see the URL go back to step #1.

I'm using 6s but assume the process is similar with other iPhone versions.

Jan 9, 2015 6:40 AM in response to ManSinha

AActually, the same problem exists in Mail: when I rotate the iPad to get a landscape view, the left third of the display is taken up by the list of items in the mail folder (e.g. Inbox). That list can be removed in portrait view by clicking on the message, but there doesn't seem to be any way to make it go away in landscape view, so as to use the whole display for the message.

Jan 11, 2015 7:46 AM in response to ManSinha

TThe problem for me is that this double arrow icon is almost never present. Maddeningly, I have seen it once or twice (most recently in reading the mail reporting your most recent answer in this thread!), Usually that space is just empty on both my iPad Mini-R and iPhone 6+. When it's there it works as you describe, but usually it's not there at all.

Oct 25, 2015 1:38 AM in response to YaLinguist

Look for the BLUE Open Book icon. It may NOT be next to these arrows < > but rather ABOVE them. Either way, the icon you're looking for will be just to the left of the Addess Box. When the Open Book icon is blue, the Bookmarks Menu will be displayed. Tap the Blue Open Book icon. It will turn White and the Bookmark Menu will be gone, thus allowing the webpage to fill the entire screen while in Landscape.

How to remove bookmarks in landscape view in iOS Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.