Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Siri won't work, neither dictation!!

I don't know what's wrong, since 3 days i can't get siri to hear me, i press the home button to summon siri, the wave line moves a lot as if it was receiving a lot of noise and then goes off as if didn't recognize anything, i've tried everything, turning siri on/off, reseting phone, reseting settings, i've checked the discussions and there doesn't seem to be any solution to this.siri does work if i use the earphone set that came with the iphone, but clearly there's a problem, and 3 days ago worked just fine!!!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 7, 2015 1:32 PM

69 replies

Aug 2, 2017 10:20 AM in response to dumax8

Dictation and Siri have not worked on my iPhone six for months. I've spent hours searching the web for a solution.

Specific symptoms: Siri and Dictation will not work.

All other Audio applications work fine.

Siri and Dictation will work with a headset.

Failed Attempts: Disabled / Enabled Siri

Rest all settings.

Installed backup from iTunes.

Updated to IOS 10.3.3

Solution: Purchased a can of Ultra Duster and sprayed the Receiver/Front Microphone for 30 - 45 seconds. Works like a charm.

Sep 20, 2017 8:19 AM in response to dumax8

Same problem with me. I just got an iPhone 6 as a gift from my dad and I found out that Siri is not working. I sat hours searching on web some solutions but could not find any. The microphone is working in all the other apps and calls. I also tried enabling/diabling Siri and using headphones for it which Didi not work either. Please help with this problem.

Riti

Jan 8, 2015 2:26 PM in response to dumax8

Hi dumax8,

Thanks for the question. If you are having issues with Siri and dictation, then the issue seems to be with the built in microphone. Try the following troubleshooting steps:

If your voice is too faint or sounds unclear using iPhone, or iPod touch - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203792

Test the microphone

To find out if there is an issue with the microphone itself—and not the app you're using or your cellular connection—test the microphone with the built-in Voice Memos app. Speak into the microphone and then play back the recording. You should be able to hear your voice clearly.

User uploaded file

Fix common issues

Follow these steps, testing after each with Voice Memos.

1. Unplug anything plugged into the headset jack.
  2. If you're on a call and holding your phone next to your ear, speak into the microphone and make sure you don't block it with your fingers or shoulder.
  3. If you're using a screen protector or case that covers the microphone, remove it. Clear any debris from the microphones.
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Update to the latest version of iOS.

If you've tried these steps and people still can't hear you well on calls, contact Apple Support.

Get help with Siri - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203548

Make sure that you're connected to the Internet

Siri works by sending your requests to Apple servers. Because of this, Siri sends information such as your voice input, contacts, and location (if you have Location Services turned on) to Apple to answer your requests.

For Siri to work, you need to be connected to the Internet using cellular data or Wi-Fi.

User uploaded file

Sometimes, Siri might say, "Sorry, I'm having trouble connecting to the network" or ask that you "try again in a little while". If this happens, check your connection and try again later.

If you want to use Voice Control when you're not connected to the Internet, turn Siri off in Settings > General > Siri. To use Siri when you're connected to the Internet again, turn Siri back on.

Make sure that Siri is on

If Siri is off, you can turn it on in Settings > General > Siri. When you turn Siri on, make sure it's using a language available in your region.

If Siri isn't responding to your questions, try turning Siri off and then back on in Settings > General > Siri.

Make sure that Siri can hear you clearly

If Siri can't understand what you're saying, follow these steps:

• Make sure the microphones aren't blocked.
  • If you're using a case, try removing it.
  • Try turning your device off and then on again.

Dictation works in most places where you can enter text using the keyboard. Certain text-entry fields in third-party apps or web forms might not support Dictation.

To turn Dictation on or off, follow these steps:

• iOS 8.1 or later: go to Settings > General > Keyboards > Enable Dictation.
  • iOS 8.0 or earlier: go to Settings > General > Restrictions. Learn more about using Restrictions.

Learn more

Siri might not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features might vary by area. Cellular data charges might apply.

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Jan 20, 2015 8:40 AM in response to judysings

One problem is, I have done all the resets(software, shut off, turned on, restored the phone completely, brought up from a backup, etc), checked several other apps, called people, used headsets, done everything that Apple has said to do, and I also can't get Siri to work for me since the update. We are not the only two either, there are TONS of people who it won't work for anymore. Just do a search for it.

What can be done to fix this Software issue with Siri?

Jan 20, 2015 9:09 AM in response to mctommymac

WEll, i tried all that you just said too, but i ended up going to the apple store and replacing it for another one, they said the problem was in the inner microphone, i also recorded a video days before in a club and the music couldn't be heard, i showed the video to the employee and he said it was the microphone... I also showed him that the facetime camera was not correctly aligned and i guess there must be a defected group of them.. So... I hope this helps

Mar 17, 2015 7:34 AM in response to dumax8

Hey everyone - Hope someone can help.

I'm having the same issue as dumax, although, mine seems a little different. Siri won't recognize that I am saying anything at all. My microphone works fine (people can hear me, I can dictate, etc). In fact, Siri will work with my headset plugged in, so I know that it may not be a problem with Siri specifically. And I believe that the hardware is fine as well, for obvious reasons stated above.

I've tried restarting, to no avail. Is there a second mic that Siri uses that is different than the one we use to talk on the phone?

I'm kind of annoyed.

Please help.

Thanks!

Apr 28, 2015 10:14 AM in response to dumax8

Same problem here!

Several month ago siri and dictation stopped working. It works fine with the earbud microphones. People can hear me fine on the phone. The memo app works fine with anything. Videos record sound fine. I've tried many reboots, hard reboots, soft reboots. Wiped everything and start from new. Wipe everything and start from restored backup. Nothing seems to work.

I see some people are just bringing the phones in for a new one now. I hope that is not the case. C'mon Apple, whats the deal?

Does anyone have a reliable fix?

Does apple know what the problem is?

Thanks!

john

May 18, 2015 8:57 AM in response to dumax8

I am having the same issue .. voice dictation does not work i iMessage or Suri. I have test the mic with the Voice memo .. and that works fine. If I use the google app and use voice dictation it works fine there. I am just see the issue with voice dictation in Imessage , Safari, and Suri. Please let me know what to do to resolve this apparent software issue.

Thanks

May 20, 2015 9:40 AM in response to dumax8

I'm also having a problem with Hey Siri. Since Monday, it has stopped working. Voice Memos, Calls, etc all work fine 😟. I'm 100% sure the phone is connected and charging the same way it was when it was working. Location and lockscreen access are enabled. I've tried resetting settings 3 times, it didn't work. I've also tried:

Disabled Siri on the lock screen (Settings -> TouchID and Passcode -> scroll to allow access when locked and slide "Siri" to off.)

Disabled Hey Siri. (Settings -> General -> Siri, slide "Allow Hey Siri" to off.)

Disabled Siri.(Settings -> General -> Siri, slide "Siri" to off.)

Restart Phone.

Re-enable in reverse order (Enable Siri, enable Hey Siri, enable Siri on the lock screen.).

I've also tried changing Siri's language, nothing.

I've then tried a factory reset. Reseted everything, without restoring any backups. Still not working User uploaded file.

I can still access Siri by holding the home button and it hears me perfectly. What's wrong?

It's a 6+ and I'm on iOS 8.3.

Thanks.

iPhone 6 Siri won't work, neither dictation!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.