Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove private browsing?

I would like to be able to remove the private browsing mode in safari, or least the ability to access it. can anyone help?

iPad Mini, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 7, 2015 1:27 PM

5 replies

May 31, 2017 4:24 AM in response to Optimist28

Do NOT remove Safari it is part of the operating system, but you are free to not use it. If you have other questions:

Your problem, hardware or software, may not be exactly the same as that of the original poster of this older thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread, which can also result in you applying the wrong advice to your particular problem.

In order for us to give your problem our proper attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac or iDevice you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X. A full list of all the support forums is here:

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Jan 8, 2015 2:12 PM in response to Biased4ever

Hi Biased4ever,

Happy New Year! Here is how to turn Private Browsing off in Safari on your Mac:

Safari 8 (Yosemite): Use Private Browsing windows
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH19216?viewlocale=en_US

Use Private Browsing windows in Safari

When you use Private Browsing windows, Safari doesn’t save your browsing history, and it asks websites you visit not to track you.
  • Use Private Browsing:

Choose File > New Private Window, or switch to a Safari window that’s already using Private Browsing. A window that’s using Private Browsing has a dark address and search field with white text.

When you use a Private Browsing window:

• Each tab in the window is isolated from the others, so websites you view in one tab can’t track your browsing in other tabs.

• Safari doesn’t remember the webpages you visit or your AutoFill information.

• Safari doesn’t store your open webpages in iCloud, so they aren’t shown when you view all your open tabs from other devices.

• Your recent searches aren’t included in the results list when you use the address and search field.

• Items you download aren’t included in the downloads list. (The items do remain on your computer.

• Safari doesn’t remember changes to your cookies or other website data. Safari also asks websites and others who provide those sites with content (including advertisers) not to keep track of your browsing, although it is up to the websites to honor this request.

• Plug-ins that support Private Browsing stop storing cookies and other tracking information.

Websites can’t modify information stored on your device, so services normally available at such sites may work differently until you turn off Private Browsing.

Note: None of the above applies in other Safari windows you may have open that don’t use Private Browsing.
  • Stop using Private Browsing:

Close the Private Browsing window, switch to a different Safari window that isn’t using Private Browsing, or choose File > New Window to open a window that doesn’t use Private Browsing. To further enhance privacy:

• Delete any items you downloaded while using Private Browsing windows.

• Close any other Private Browsing windows that are still open, to prevent others from using the Back and Forward buttons to see pages you visited in them.

Besides using Private Browsing windows, you can manage cookies and data stored by all websites and have Safari ask all websites not to track you.

If you forget to use a Private Browsing window, you can clear your browsing history.

Last Modified: Jan 6, 2015

Cheers!

- Judy

Mar 22, 2015 8:23 AM in response to Biased4ever

Sounds like you may have been or are fighting my fight. If you truly want to get free of what happens in "private browsing" get a accountability software installed and some friends to help you walk this out. there's lots of good ones our there. The one i use is X3watch, its on all my ios devices, laptops, everything digital I own. remove safari on ios devices under restrictions and have someone else set the pin code. also set "no deleting apps" so you cant find a work around. then use the safe browser they provide to keep your life safe. Feel free to message me or email or waverer if you want some more help or direction.

How can I remove private browsing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.