Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't empty trash on iMac

I've tried all the various ways to empty my trash, and nothing is working. I've tried the terminal thing, option empty, moving folders out of trash, etc. Nothing is working. Any other suggestions? Do I need to just wipe my computer and restore to factory?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 7, 2015 6:53 PM

7 replies

Jan 7, 2015 7:04 PM in response to slowboy55

You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on solving Trash issues. You can also try using Trash It! 5.1 to fix the problem. Or you can try this:

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and paste the following at the prompt:

sudo rm -Rf ~/.Trash

Press RETURN. Enter your admin password when prompted. It will not echo to the screen. Press RETURN again.

(Should anyone tell you this is dangerous or unnecessary, please ignore the comment.)

Jan 7, 2015 11:08 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Thanks! But I've done both and to no avail. I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but the files I'm trying to erase are backup folders that I move to the trash from an external drive. I've tried the option thing, trashit, terminal, and even moving them from the trash can to another drive and erasing the folders there - but they remain in the trash can. I'm about to erase everything and start over. At this point I'm not sure that will even work. I'm seeking other options.

Can't empty trash on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.