Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help, my Safari browser has been acting super strange. It keeps changing my default browser from Google to Only Search, and my search bar will only search on Yahoo no matter what I do. On top of that I get MacKeeper popups every time I click a link

Help, my Safari browser has been acting super strange lately! It keeps changing my default browser automatically from Google to Only Search (if you use the search engine Only Search it takes you to Yahoo.com). My search bar will only search on Yahoo no matter what I do to make it Google. On top of that I get MacKeeper popups every time I click on a link. What is worn with my computer and how do I fix it?!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

Posted on Jan 7, 2015 9:18 PM

5 replies

Jan 7, 2015 11:04 PM in response to Marc-et_Man

There is no need to download anything to solve this problem. You may have installed a variant of the "VSearch" ad-injection malware.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

/Library/LaunchDaemons

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

A folder named "LaunchDaemons" may open. Look inside it for a file with a name of the form

com.something.daemon.plist

Here something is a variable word, which can be different in each case. It could be "cloud," "dot," "highway," "submarine," "trusteddownloads," or pretty much anything else.

There may also be a file named

com.something.helper.plist

in the same folder.

If you find files with names that fit the above description, post what you have for "something."

Jan 28, 2015 1:11 PM in response to Linc Davis

I've been having the same problem. Annoying. Aside from the fact that Apple is trying to distance itself from Google in all of it's products, I found the fix.There was an unauthorized extension that I don't recall installing, but may have come as an Apple Safari app update.

Go to your Safari Preferences and click on Extensions. There may be an extension called "SEARCHTAB". Uninstall it. As soon as I did, the Google preferred search engine resumed as default (as it should be selected in the General tab of Safari Preferences).

Help, my Safari browser has been acting super strange. It keeps changing my default browser from Google to Only Search, and my search bar will only search on Yahoo no matter what I do. On top of that I get MacKeeper popups every time I click a link

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.