Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Partition SSD Disk and Weird İnstallation Problem

Hi everyone!,

I just bought a new Macbook Pro with 512gb SDD. I was just playing around and installing my softwares so basically fun stuff 🙂

Anyways somehow safari corrupted and it keeps giving errors with reopen so I restart and the system gone soo weird. Finder wasn't there and it was so slow I couldn't go in to user prefs and stuff so I restarted again. Ever since then it only boots up in recovery. So I tried to install a clean copy of yosemite on recovery so I found out Yosemite can't see my SSD so I go Disk Utility and I realize that I can't partition it . Everything is greyed out on that Macintosh HD

Then I found another mac and make a bootable Yosemite USB disk and boot up with the USB. But nothing changed, again when I come to the selection of HDD there is nothing there. I tried some Terminal commands like diskutil mountDisk /dev/disk0 and disk0s2 it echo as successfully mounted but still the same result I can't select my HD to install Yosemite.

Please Help, and thanks everyone 🙂

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), null

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 4:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 5:39 AM

Yosemite creates a Logical Volume Group (CoreStorage) for most laptops which is what you see in your screen shots. But you have no Logical Partition underneath the Group. So you need to delete the Logical Volume Group.

Boot from your USB installer and from the OS X Utilities Menu select Utilities / Terminal.

Type: diskutil cs list and find the Logical Volume Group ID. It will be a string of letters/dashes/numbers. Highlight it and copy it (Command+C).

Next, type: diskutil cs delete LVG ID .... replacing LVG ID with the Logical Volume Group ID string.

Restart using your USB installer again and you should see your drive again in Disk Utility and be able to select it and the Partitions tab to add a partition and format it.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2015 5:39 AM in response to pamir_a

Yosemite creates a Logical Volume Group (CoreStorage) for most laptops which is what you see in your screen shots. But you have no Logical Partition underneath the Group. So you need to delete the Logical Volume Group.

Boot from your USB installer and from the OS X Utilities Menu select Utilities / Terminal.

Type: diskutil cs list and find the Logical Volume Group ID. It will be a string of letters/dashes/numbers. Highlight it and copy it (Command+C).

Next, type: diskutil cs delete LVG ID .... replacing LVG ID with the Logical Volume Group ID string.

Restart using your USB installer again and you should see your drive again in Disk Utility and be able to select it and the Partitions tab to add a partition and format it.

Can't Partition SSD Disk and Weird İnstallation Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.