Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 8.1.2 wifi grey on iphone 4s

Hello,

after updated ios to 8.1.2 on my iphone 4s, wifi not working.

Icon of wifi is grey.

I try to resetting network settings but same problem.

I try to restaur ios but same problem.

Thanks tou for your help.

My phone have 25 months...

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 5:14 AM

31 replies

Jan 10, 2015 5:22 AM in response to jmlanester

Hi. I also have iPhone 4s iOS 8.1.2. And my wifi is also greyed out. Unfortunatly apple still didn't fix this so you won't find anwser here, believe me, I have tried everything suggested. The only way to bring your wifi to life is to use rather unconvencial methods, search YouTube for fix "how to fix iPhone 4s greyed wifi". It worked for me, buz it is temp.fix. Or you can wait for new update. There are at least 200 pages with this problem and still no response from Apple.

Jan 22, 2015 9:40 AM in response to sinarbone

I know what you mean. I have two iPhone 4s with greyed out wifi. They went unusable after update.

It's been a while now and since there is no responce from Apple I'm thinking to service phones.

Did anybody tried to replace wifi antena on IPhone 4s? Did the greyed wifi go away by replacing wifi antena or the problem remains the same?

please I need some advice from you experienced fellows. Which part needs to be replaced to get my phone functional again. I don't want to just patch it and spend money in vain.

Thanks

Jan 22, 2015 10:54 AM in response to sinarbone

sinarbone wrote:

where are you Apple??Are we supposed to throw our 4s phones and buy your new phones???not all people have that kind of money

if you can't get any improvement at new IOS..well..don't launch it..if you can't help our problems with your new IOS..please allow us to downgrade to the best version for our 4s's

If your wi-fi is greyed out on your iPhone, it has nothing to do with the iOS. Follow the steps in these two articles:

iOS: Wi-Fi settings grayed out or dim - Apple Support

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups - Apple Support

Use the first article. If wi-fi is greyed out, use the second article. If issue persists, it is a HARDWARE issue, not a software issue, and your device needs to be serviced or replaced.

Jan 22, 2015 11:19 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

thank you for your help. I have already tried all that. If it is a hardware problem, and I am more convienced that it is, isn't odd that both of my phones have the same problem after updating software. What are the odds to that? So I believe that software update corrupted my wifi. As I could see I am not the only one with this greyed wifi issue that came with update. I hope you can understand my frustration.

Jan 22, 2015 11:26 AM in response to danyboy2012

danyboy2012 wrote:

thank you for your help. I have already tried all that. If it is a hardware problem, and I am more convienced that it is, isn't odd that both of my phones have the same problem after updating software. What are the odds to that? So I believe that software update corrupted my wifi. As I could see I am not the only one with this greyed wifi issue that came with update. I hope you can understand my frustration.

Software cannot damage hardware. However, the process of updating the iOS generates heat from the processor. If the wi-fi chip (and a higher than normal percentage of iPhone 4S units have defective wi-fi chips) is damaged by this heat, the wi-fi will grey out.

It's not the software directly; it's the heat generated indirectly by the processor running at a higher capacity than normal. In essence, it's a defect in the device, either a wi-fi chip that has lower than normal heat tolerance or a processor that generated higher than normal heat.

Hardware, not software. And hardware issues are handled under the normal warranty or AppleCare, whichever you have.

Feb 5, 2015 3:42 AM in response to jmlanester

its obvious Apple does not care about users using older versions of IPhone. I have been using IPhone since it came out and this is just ridiculous. I was was told to get another Iphone. Really? I think Apple thinks all Iphones users are dumb. Its obvious the issues started after updates but they keep blaming the users. Maybe it's time to start looking for another phone manufacturer.

Feb 5, 2015 5:19 AM in response to SSKYWALKER

SSKYWALKER wrote:

its obvious Apple does not care about users using older versions of IPhone. I have been using IPhone since it came out and this is just ridiculous. I was was told to get another Iphone. Really? I think Apple thinks all Iphones users are dumb. Its obvious the issues started after updates but they keep blaming the users. Maybe it's time to start looking for another phone manufacturer.

Sounds like a good idea.

Goodbye & good luck.

ios 8.1.2 wifi grey on iphone 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.