Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor 3.5.3 not finishing bluray burn.

Hello. I posted this question in the Compressor forum as well, but since this version is 3.5.3 from Final Cut Studio I was advised to post it here as well. Thank you.

After updating my MacPro (early 2008) to Yosemite I've encountered numerous compatibility issues. I'm not certain if my current Compressor issue has anything to do with that update or not, but, when I try to burn a blurry just under 2 hours long Compressor gets almost all the way to the end, then the timer starts counting up. And the disc never burns. This is Compressor 3.5.3. Thank you for any advice. Eric

MacPro / PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.6.6), FCP 7.0.3

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 6:05 AM

7 replies

Jan 8, 2015 3:20 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Thank you MtD, very helpful. If I can buy Comp4 for $50 then yes it is totally worth it unless there are better options for burning DVD/BluRay on MacPro (other than DVD Studio Pro). Actually, I still love iDVD but have gotten used to Compressor, plus iDVD doesn't do BluRay.

I was so bummed when I discovered that Motion was incompatible too, but I did not know that a newer version was available as a stand-alone, and would work with Yosemite. So I am excited about that as well.

Thank you again for the info!!

Eric

Jan 12, 2015 8:12 AM in response to Eric Pensenstadler

There are issues with the Create Disk program that Compressor hands off to after the processing the audio and video files. While I've found is that most lthings in 3.5 do work on Yosemite, unfortunately the disk-burning part doesn't - whether creating a physical disk or an img. (And as has been noted on other threads, the Qmaster preference pane stopped working in 10.9, although there are work-arounds.)

IMO. 4.1 is a distinct improvement over previous versions of Compressor. It's faster and more dependable. (But of course there is no inter-operability with FCP 7.)

Russ

Jan 12, 2015 12:34 PM in response to Russ H

Thanks a lot Russ. That makes sense as Compressor got all the way down to the burning part and that seemed to be when it no longer wanted to cooperate. Compressor 4 may be a great improvement, but will the Create Disk portion work with Yosemite (sounds like it will, but just checking).

I tried to download Comp. 4 the other day and it wouldn't because it says my video card doesn't support it. Not sure if that's due to Yosemite or if I just need to upgrade, but I guess I will have to do that now too. I'm hoping that if I upgrade my video card then my Blackmagic card will work again so that I can have my HD preview monitor back while editing!

Thanks again,

Eric

Jan 12, 2015 1:45 PM in response to Eric Pensenstadler

Eric Pensenstadler wrote:

but will the Create Disk portion work with Yosemite (sounds like it will, but just checking).

I've found it to be reliable on Yosemite – including post processing job actions like disk creation. That's not to say that everyone finds the software to be flawless. But typically problems have turned out to be related to some sort of a local issue and my sense is that there are a lot fewer complaints being posted about this version than previous versions (particularly 4.0.x).

What is the graphics card that 4.1 didn't like?

Russ

Jan 14, 2015 8:33 PM in response to Russ H

My graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB

It was great years ago, but obviously outdated now.

I would be very grateful if you could recommend a new card to get. I will purchase and install it right away. I could just ask Apple store too, but most likely you guys here on this forum can answer with a more practical hands-on experience.

Thank you!

Eric

Jan 20, 2015 5:20 AM in response to Eric Pensenstadler

I downloaded the current version of compressor to work around inability of FCP X to burn high definition content on DVD. it is able to make a disc image that you can search for using .img in finder. encoding a 2 hour movie takes 4.5 hours on my machine and you have the impression that it is done but then create disc takes another 4+ hours to make the disc image. So patience is needed:) then burn the disc image using disc utility. speed will vary

Compressor 3.5.3 not finishing bluray burn.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.