Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone Through TRRS Jack Not Detected in Windows

The problem has been around for quite some time now, i.e., since the so-called TRRS jacks were introduced in MacBooks. In these, a single 3.5 mm jack connector is used to combine a stereo pair OUT with a mono microphone IN.

People are frustrated by the fact that the microphone on their headset is properly detected in OS X, but not in Windows/Bootcamp.

It appears that the problem stems from Microsoft's HDAudio.sys driver:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj123860.aspx#jack

The workaround mentioned in the article above does not work due to the particular way the TRRS jack and the audio chip (cs4206, cs4207 and cs4208) are wired in the MacBooks: only a single jack detection event is possible, and if one is detected, a value is set in the chip, which reports the presence of a microphone. In this configuration, HDAudio.sys sees only one detection event associated with the headphones, and there is no way a second event associated with the microphone can be triggered physically.

So, it would seem that Microsoft has to rectify the way their HDAudio.sys behaves with respect to these TRRS jacks.

That being said, Apple provides a driver for the cs420x chips in their BootCamp packages. Assuming that it reads the status of the audio chip and transmits both the jack detection event and the associated values to the HDAudio.sys driver, it should be possible for the BootCamp driver to emulate those two trigger events slightly spaced in time that HDAudio.sys needs for now.

Does anyone know whether Apple, Microsoft, or both, are working on this particular issue?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), Windows 8, null

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2017 3:44 AM

I would also be interested in seeing a resolution to this. I'm on a 2016 iMac 5k using a CS4206B and would rather use the onboard DAC than pay an extra $40-60 for a USB sound card of equivalent quality.

Looks like Apple are trying to wash their hands of Boot Camp, what with them refusing to update the graphics drivers too.

63 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2017 3:44 AM in response to iStir

I would also be interested in seeing a resolution to this. I'm on a 2016 iMac 5k using a CS4206B and would rather use the onboard DAC than pay an extra $40-60 for a USB sound card of equivalent quality.

Looks like Apple are trying to wash their hands of Boot Camp, what with them refusing to update the graphics drivers too.

Feb 25, 2017 6:07 AM in response to JTeb

JTeb wrote:

This is a Windows OS issue. The same TRRS works correctly on the OS X side.

Check bootcampdrivers.com .

Jul 29, 2017 2:53 AM in response to iStir

I have the same problem 😟 Late 2012 iMac 27", Windows 10 1607 (going to upgrade to 1703 and see if it still happens).

I got a headset to play games and chat to friends with, and found it had 2 cables, mic and headphone. So I bought a cable that combines them in to one. Under macOS (Sierra) it works perfectly, mic shows up as external. But under Windows it doesn't pick it up at all 😟

Jul 30, 2017 9:01 AM in response to justin.gengo

I didn't have my iPhone 5s/SE headphones at hand so I plugged in headphones that came with 4s and they worked without any problems.

System specs:

Boot Camp on MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2015)

Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit, version 1607 (aka. anniversary update), build 14393.1480

Cirrus Logic CS4208 (AB 128)
Driver: Cirrus Logic Inc.
Date: 3/25/2015

v. 6.6001.3.24

Nov 11, 2017 2:19 PM in response to MARTEKHA

Works for me by plugging into the combo jack very slowly (over 5 seconds or longer). This is Microsoft's recommended workaround so that the iPhone-type combo plug makes the connections for the headphone (first three rings on the plug), and the microphone (last ring), at distinctly different times. Windows does not currently process the two events correctly when they occur close together in time.

Experiment by opening the Control Panel --> Device Manager -->Audio Inputs and outputs, and see the headphone device be added to the list first, then the microphone shows up afterwards. Sometimes there is a further delay before the microphone eventually shows up.

If the combo plug is inserted at "normal" speed, often the headphone will show up in the list, and then disappear almost immediately when the microphone makes contact, ending up with neither device being recognized.

Laptop:

Mid-2013 MacBook Pro Retina

BootCamp 6.0

Windows 10, 1709 Update

Jan 8, 2015 3:51 PM in response to iStir

From MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) - Technical Specifications

Audio

• Stereo speakers
  • Dual microphones
  • Headphone port
    • Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone
    • Support for audio line out (digital/analog)

There is an additional complication, because the S/PDIF (aka TOSlink mini Digital Optical) is also in the same connector, which has a micro switch and can cause problems for events. It works with the Apple Headphone/Microphone combination well, but other similar headsets may have issues. Have you tried Windows 8 (or 8.1)? The iPhone TRRS works correctly on a 13" 2012 MBP and detects the devices. I will also check the Event Viewer on W8.1 and post the Device Manager screen when I have access to the 2012 MBP.

Jan 8, 2015 4:08 PM in response to Loner T

I forgot about the Optical Digital Out, but I am not even trying to use that. I just want an external Mic In without resorting to a USB or other type of external converter.

I read the entire datasheet for the cs4207 chip so I have a good idea of what is going on on the hardware side.

And I am running Windows 8.1.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling audio drivers with and without the jack plugged in. No luck.

I also tried inverting polarity, changing impedance across the relevant terminals and so on. Again, everything behaves as expected in OS X, but not in Windows. This is definitely a limitation of the Windows drivers as per Microsoft's own admission in the link provided.

Aug 13, 2015 5:09 PM in response to iStir

Hi there. I've been monitoring and looking for a solution for this for sometime and it seems the latest version of bootcamp released today (Bootcamp 6.0) with Windows 10 fixes the problem.

I had Windows 10 installed through bootcamp and updated to bootcamp 6 today (Aug 13). Surprisingly, I plugged in my iPhone headset (which is TRRS) and noticed windows installing some drivers. I knew something was up. Look at this:

User uploaded file

Headset is working just like it does in OSX now, awesome for VOIP or gaming. Very happy camper here!

Should note that I am running Windows 10 with Bootcamp 6 on a late 2013 Retina Macbook Pro.

Sep 11, 2015 10:28 PM in response to hammie334

My MacMini 2012 (CS4206B AB88) has the same problem with bootcamp 6.0 on Windows 10. TRRS mic cannot be recognized in device manager.

Further checking the driver setup inf file, I believe Apple/CirrusLogic didn't add the mic section for CS4206B.

CS4208 driver has defined the mic interface ""eMicInTopo" and ""eMicInWave" while CS4206 driver doesn't have this section.

Sep 12, 2015 6:32 AM in response to jasonyongw

jasonyongw wrote:

My MacMini 2012 (CS4206B AB88) has the same problem with bootcamp 6.0 on Windows 10. TRRS mic cannot be recognized in device manager.

Further checking the driver setup inf file, I believe Apple/CirrusLogic didn't add the mic section for CS4206B.

CS4208 driver has defined the mic interface ""eMicInTopo" and ""eMicInWave" while CS4206 driver doesn't have this section.

Add the two sections from the 4208 drivers to the 4206B and test.

Microphone Through TRRS Jack Not Detected in Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.