Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get Migration Asst to work between OS 10.10.1 on 2 iMacs?

I have a new 27" 2013 iMac just purchased, and trying to use migration assistant from my mid 2010 27" iMac. Using ethernet cable, and gets to the point of the numbers, which show on both screens, and then quits on new machine. I have done twice. Both are running 10.10.1, same OS; I made sure of that. I have now restarted. What can I do now?

MacBook, iMac, iPhone4, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 4:37 PM

3 replies

Jan 10, 2015 12:11 PM in response to ramcclain

Hello ramcclain,

It sounds like you are doing it correctly since you are getting to the passcode screens.

Further down in the article is, "If you experience issues migrating using an Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection"

How to move data to your new Mac using Mountain Lion and earlier - Apple Support

Try migrating by using Internet Sharing from your source computer.

1. Set up a home connection from your source computer.
  2. Choose System Preferences from the Apple () menu, then Sharing from the View menu.
  3. Select Internet Sharing.
  4. Select a network service from the “Share your connection from” menu. Do not choose Wi-Fi for this step.
  5. Note: You can use built-in FireWire or ThunderBolt for example. You do not need to be connected to the Internet to transmit data for data migration.
  6. Select Wi-Fi to share your Internet connection from the “To computers using” list.
  7. Click Wi-Fi Options and give your network a name and password.
  8. On your target computer, connect to the Wi-Fi network you created.

Learn what to do if a migrated application does not open or function correctly.

Regards,

Nubz

Jan 10, 2015 12:53 PM in response to Nubz N.

AM on phone with Apple right now. My helper waiting for senior support, as have gone thru this again, same result.

The link you gave me is for Mt. Lion or earlier, and both of mine on newest Yosemite, 10.10.1, so does not apply. In addition, Apple Store/Memphis suggested the ethernet transfer as old Mac has firewire, and new on Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt cable with adapter is about $50, and since probably would not use much, they suggested using ethernet.

I have opened file sharing and selected that on both. Was wondering about also using Internet sharing-ethernet, so apple guy going to check that out.

Also, this link at Apple, no longer being updated. How to move data to your new Mac using Mountain Lion and earlier - Apple Support

IF they figure out the problem, will defintely post here, however.

How can I get Migration Asst to work between OS 10.10.1 on 2 iMacs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.