Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Umax Scanner won't work anymore

Hi, I just reconnected my Umax 2200 Scanner to my old computer(FrankenMac 7500/100 upgraded to 8500/400 G3 with OS-9.1), & keep getting warnings that I need to pick a SCSI port. It's USB. It shows up in the system profiler as connected by USB, but freezes every time I try to scan.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Scott

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Also FrankenMac PM 7500/100 upgraded to 8500/400 G3

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 5:33 PM

2 replies

Jan 8, 2015 8:14 PM in response to photoheart

Umax scanners of lore had difficult time migrating to Mac OS X. If you are running Mac OS X, you posted to the wrong forum. Finding old Mac OS 9 drivers for Mac OS 9 probably would require hooking up the scanner via SCSI directly if it supported that scanner as most scanners in Mac OS 9 supported more SCSI than USB. Although there are some USB drivers available for Mac OS 9 Macs. Make sure if you have that, that all your USB and HID extensions are loaded.

SCSI required proper termination, meaning if you have more than one SCSI device hooked up, a terminator had to be turned on, on the highest ID number on the chain, or a physical terminator added to the second SCSI port.

Do not confuse SCSI for Parallel printer connectors found on many an old PC. While they look similar, they are vastly different, and plugging in one in the other can damage it!

If you are running Mac OS X, these scanner driver manufacturers may be of interest, as they supported many third party scanners. This comes off my website*

from Apple for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard through 10.9 Mavericks combo printer/scanners and on my printer page header bullet section, downloads from Apple for the individual vendors listed on Apple's website
Silverfast (for Mac OS X 10.5 Intel and above)
Vuescan(for Mac OS X 10.5 unknown platform and above)
Macdevcenter.com's coverage of Mac OS X native scanners that are PowerMac compatible back in 2003
Slashdot has revealed that some
open source SANE developers (Version 2.9 and earlier support PowerMac) have made these these scanners available to the Mac.
Exactscan has drivers for several scanners as well (and non-OCR features are compatible with 10.5 PowerMac).
There are also several drivers from PhaseOne made for the Mac.
Avison scanner drivers are now available.
Fuji has scanner support going all the way back to Mac OS X 10.2.8 and PowerPC There are Apple's instructions for using Image Capture on cameras.
HP All in one Scanner suggestions for fixing scanning with 10.9 Mavericks

Special thanks to Mrgreenbeans, an Apple Support Communities subscriber for the instructions below:
1. Mount the disk image containing the HP scanner software.
2. Control-click to "show package contents."
3. Navigate within the package to a folder called "sub installers." There will be a series of installation apps in there, all of which work in Leopard. Run those, one at a time, and then you should be set.
I was able to make my HP Scanjet 3970 work with Leopard. In addition, in the installer provided, there were scanner drivers for the HP Scanjet 2400, 3670, 3690, and 4070. You can find those drivers here on HP's website.

* Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Jan 10, 2015 1:54 AM in response to a brody

Hi a brody-Thanks for your reply & the info, however I found the problem. UMAXShare extension got turned on somehow, so I threw it away.

I was posting about the PM 8500/400 w/OS 9.1. It had a PCI card installed w/USB & Firewire. I didn't think ANY OS-9 scanners, printers, etc. could still work with OS-X. I was hooking it back up because I can scan transparencies on it. I just have an all-in-one for my OS-X 10.6.8 MacBook. It sounds like you're saying there might be a driver out there for OS-X. I'll check it out.

Thanks, Scott

Umax Scanner won't work anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.