Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 occasionally goes to a blank screen during a call

Every so often (1 or 2 times out of 30-40 calls if I were to guess) while talking on my iPhone 6 (64GB), I'll pull it away from my ear and the screen is off. I'm holding it around the edges and not obscuring any sensors. Tapping the screen, pressing the home button, the sleep/wake button or volume buttons does nothing. Twice this has happened while leaving a message so I have to do a forced restart.

I'm on iOS 8.1.2 but this also happened on either 8.1.1 or 8.1 before (not sure if I skipped an update or installed them all). I've never had this problem on my 3GS or 4S. I've thought about taking it into an Apple store but I can't repro it on demand.

Anyone else have this problem?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 5:48 PM

3 replies

Mar 10, 2015 2:44 PM in response to davedNconfused

I've also run into this issue. I got my phone in Feb 2015. Also iphone 6 (64GB). It's happened during calls and when I tried taking a photo. The screen basically goes black but the phone is still on and responds to buttons. It's happened to me twice in the past month or so. Each time, I've just had to wait for a few mins and the screen becomes lit up again.

Jun 30, 2015 3:01 PM in response to davedNconfused

This issue has happened during phone calls on 2 different iPhone 6's now, both are 128GB. It happens at least once a month and is extremely irritating, its always during a call and sometimes the screen wont turn back on at all... I'll have to manually shut the phone down by holding the lock screen button and randomly swiping the display hoping I can trigger a shutdown. I'm pretty sure this is a problem with the sensor above the earpiece and front facing camera.

iPhone 6 occasionally goes to a blank screen during a call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.