Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hard drive is full of backup files?

My 17 inch Macbook pro running Yosemite seems to be filling up with back up files. 225.3 GB to be exact. I back up all my devices to iCloud and deleted the back up files from iTunes from when I backed up to the computer. I have 152 GB left on the drive. I do film so I need the space. I Did remove iTunes music to an external drive as well as iPhoto pix but this cleared nothing even though my music folder was 112GB. Oddly it seemed when I dumped the files from the computer to the external drive the Backup folder increased even though I emptied the trash.

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 8:03 PM

Do you have Time Machine enabled? If so do you have the backup drive frequently disconnect? If so, then you are dealing with Time Machine snapshots: About Time Machine local snapshots. The space they take up will be released if and when you need more space on the HDD. They do not keep the space permanently, so you need not worry over them. If you don't want them to continue then turn off Time Machine when you do not have the backup drive connected. Or:

Time Machine Snapshots

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and enter or paste the appropriate command line. Press RETURN and enter your admin password when prompted. It will not be echoed. Press RETURN again.

1. To turn them ON: sudo tmutil enablelocal
  2. To turn them OFF: sudo tmutil disablelocal

Note that turning them OFF will also delete all existing snapshots.

For more about snapshots see: OS X Mountain Lion- About local snapshots.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2015 8:03 PM in response to ratskiss

Do you have Time Machine enabled? If so do you have the backup drive frequently disconnect? If so, then you are dealing with Time Machine snapshots: About Time Machine local snapshots. The space they take up will be released if and when you need more space on the HDD. They do not keep the space permanently, so you need not worry over them. If you don't want them to continue then turn off Time Machine when you do not have the backup drive connected. Or:

Time Machine Snapshots

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and enter or paste the appropriate command line. Press RETURN and enter your admin password when prompted. It will not be echoed. Press RETURN again.

1. To turn them ON: sudo tmutil enablelocal
  2. To turn them OFF: sudo tmutil disablelocal

Note that turning them OFF will also delete all existing snapshots.

For more about snapshots see: OS X Mountain Lion- About local snapshots.

hard drive is full of backup files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.