Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change bonjour name between two computers?

I have two computers (an iMac and a Macbook Pro) and we use Bonjour chat at my company. My goal is to have different Bonjour names displaying to my employees, for example Peter (main) and Peter (laptop). It seems there is no way to make local changes in "my card" in Messages, since any change I make on the laptop will be filtered over to the iMac via iCloud, meaning that the same information will display in the chat windows for both my machines. The result is that there's always confusion about whether my employee is sending a message to me on my main machine or my laptop, and confusion occurs.

Can anyone recommend a way to differentiate Bonjour names or even the icon? There seems to be no way to, say, edit how my profile will appear locally on my employees' computers for example, it's all tied to the "my card" information that's synched through iCloud, and thus exactly the same on all computers I use.

I am using Yosemite, and my employees are using 10.9.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 500GB SSD, 16 GB Apple memory

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 8:18 PM

1 reply

Jan 9, 2015 1:26 PM in response to Peter Payne

Hi,

For the Messages app the Bonjour Name is the one from the My Card in the Contacts App.

On my three computers, a G4 tower running Leopard, a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard and my iMac running Yosemite I don't have the issue as I don't sync the Address Books/Contacts apps which allows me to have different My Card on each.

The G4 lists me as just Ralph G4 and the MacBook Pro as Ralph Johns-Macbook Pro with the iMac as Ralph Johns-iMac.

These changes also effect the way I appear in Mail when sending emails.

The only way I can think of getting around this is to turn Off the Sync Process for Contacts and change the relevant My Card on the computer you are on.

However turning the Sync off can cause Display issues with other Contacts in iMessages that revert to phone numbers only.

There is also this OS X: How to disable Bonjour service advertising without disabling DNS - Apple Support

User uploaded file

9:26 pm Friday; January 9, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

How can I change bonjour name between two computers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.